Position: National Project Officer
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Avilability: As soon as possible
Post Category: Officer Level
Group Classification: 2
The Project Officer will be under the direct supervision of the International Project Manager in the Field Office and will report to him/her.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
• To assist in project planning and development and support the implementation of the Mission’s projects, in relation to Somali institutions/organizations and other international partners;
• To ensure onsite quality control and monitoring for the Construction projects supported by the mission;
• To frequently visit the headquarters and local branches of Somali institutions, partners in/beneficiary of the projects, and work together with/support the national project teams in order to advance the project activities;
• To assess project proposals within Somalia specific legal and socio-economic environment and make recommendations on the feasibility and sustainability of projects;
• To support and, when needed, provide advice to project leaders (within the Mission’s operational components) in preparing English/Somali versions of project documents such as project proposals, project budgets, notes of understanding, project agreements, etc.;
• To support and facilitate organization/participation of Somali delegations to workshops, conferences, official events abroad;
• To provide advice or written analysis in order to ensure that project proposals are in line with the Mission’s programmes and are properly coordinated within the Mission and with Somali stakeholders;
• To facilitate the communication on projects both internally (project leaders – elements of Mission Support) and externally (project leaders – external stakeholders);
• To maintain a record of the project activities and prepare briefs and updates on project progress for partner Somali institutions;
• To perform and, where needed, support, during and upon project completion, project reporting and evaluation, as well as compiling in English/Somali evaluation reports, project management documents or other types of expected deliverables (documentation) for internal and external stakeholders;
• To support, mainly within partner Somali institutions, mentoring on project/grant management, the development of best practices on project management, provision of training recommendations and facilitate arrangements for recording lessons identified/learnt;
• To receive, review, analyse, assign, process and track certified requisitions submitted for procurement action;
• To liaise with the Mission’s international partners in close coordination with the Mission’s Coordination and Cooperation capability;
• To travel to EUCAP Field Offices (Mogadishu, Hargeisa), other locations in Somalia, EUCAP Nairobi back office, as well as to other locations abroad in order to provide support for project activities and facilitation for Somali official delegations;
• In coordination with members of the Project Cell, with approval of the Line Manager, to travel to various sites with the purpose of performing needs assessments, project activities preparation and organisation, reception of supplies delivered in the projects, while accurately documenting such activities;
• To perform checks of the inventory of supplies for the project activities, when requested, and to support the permanent updates of the inventory record at the level of the Field Office;
• To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
Essentials Qualifications and Experience
• Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma;
• The qualification should be in any of the fields of Civil Engineering/Constructions OR Social Sciences (e.g.Political Science, International Relations, Law, Economics) OR Business Administration/Management;
• After having fulfilled the education requirements, a minimum of 3 years of professional experience, in any of the following fields (one field or combined): construction projects (public or private), public administration, international development, humanitarian aid, project management, contract management, business development, international/commercial relations, sector security reform.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent level of written and spoken English and Somali;
• Excellent knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite Package;
• Complex and difficult office work independently, including ability to work remotely, when needed, selforganize and deliver high quality results;
• Teamwork oriented;
• Time management and problem-solving skills;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills;
• Strong sense of confidentiality and discretion;
• Punctuality, reliability.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
• Academic/professional training in any of the technical areas related to civil engineering/constructions (e.g. Civil Engineering, Building Constructions, Urbanism, Installations for Buildings, Architecture, Structural Engineering, Constructions Management, Construction Technology, Construction Management Engineering, Technology, Constructions Heavy Equipment);
• Postgraduate certificate/diploma or master’s degree in any area if the transcript/curriculum includes a dedicated course/module on project or contract management with the minimal duration of 1 semester;
• Experience in supporting construction projects, for public or private organizations;
• Experience in crisis areas with multinational and/or international organizations;
• Project management training (academic/vocational/online) or professional experience with project management methodologies, such as APM – PFQ or PMQ / PMI – CAPM or PMP / IPMA / PRINCE2, or similar proprietary/organizational project management frameworks;
• Ability to perform/complete in an expedited manner, international travel arrangements/ procedures (multiple citizenships or permanent residency allowing visa free/expedited travel highly desirable).
• Mandatory requirement to pass security clearances and medical check.
How to apply
1-2023 Call for Applications – National Staff – European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia (EUCAP Somalia).
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, 5 April 2023 at 16:00 (EAT) – Late applications will not be accepted.
Applicants need to have citizenship of Somalia or have to be in possession of a work/residence permit in Somalia.
European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia (EUCAP Somalia)
Job locations: As indicated in Requirements and Job Descriptions
E-mail address where to send the Job Application Form: email@example.com
Download the application form below to be submitted as indicated in the Requirements and Job Descriptions.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Regional Education Coordinator (REC) – Southern Africa Region at Jesuit Refugee Service
- Head of Programming I, Juba South Sudan at Catholic Relief Services
- Senior Policy Associate at Abdul Jameel Latif Poverty Action Lab
- Chief of Party II, Addis Ababa Ethiopia at Catholic Relief Services
- Consultant – Mid Term Evaluation for the Resilience in Pastoral Areas Activity in the Lowlands of Ethiopia – Somali, Afar, Oromia Regions