Position Title: Network Administrator
Reports To: Technical Supervisor
Division: CWS Africa
Department: Administration, Information Technology
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 6, Specialist, National
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for working with and assisting the Senior Network Administrator in administration, managing, maintenance and monitoring of ICT Network and Infrastructure; including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), network segments, intranets, and other data communication systems. The position requires flexibility, innovation, initiative, and confidence in dealing with different types of IT hardware and systems and diverse types of people.
- Achieves and maintains a thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM, and USCIS policies and procedures regarding ICT systems management for RSC Africa.
- Manages and monitors IT physical layer infrastructure (Power, AC, servers, W/LAN and WAN networks, CCTV, Access control, firewalls, and other network equipment) and ensures the highest performance, reliability, and availability.
- Maintains and monitors the communication infrastructure (VOIP, VPN, Teleconferencing, Internet links, among others) and ensures the highest performance, reliability, and availability.
- Fault management and recovery of the network infrastructure
- Oversee digital security, and set up user accounts, permissions, and passwords in network-related applications.
- Support and administer third-party networking and software applications.
- Resolves infrastructure requests escalated from the service desk
- Creating and maintaining documentation on networking procedures and protocols within ITSM
- Collaborating and supporting the site and sub-office IT staff in their tasks and projects.
- Traveling to remote field locations for equipment maintenance and network support.
- Collaboration and working with the Senior IT specialists on various tasks and projects.
- Participate in 24×7 on-call responsibilities and maintenance window activities.
- Any other tasks as assigned by IT Management
- Five (5) years paid work experience performing the essential duties is required.
- 3 years of experience managing and maintaining computer networks, preferably Windows-based networks.
- Experience in managing IT projects preferred.
- Strong working knowledge in networking (LAN, WLAN, and VPN), especially with Cisco-managed devices (Firewalls, Routers, and switches) – Switching and Routing.
- Strong knowledge of network security, penetration testing, Intrusion prevention, and detection systems (Cisco Firepower or any other) or related skills are a plus.
- Strong knowledge and working experience with the administration of database systems, especially MS SQL Server.
- Through knowledge of TCP/IP Architecture and OSI model.
- Strong, up-to-date knowledge of systems security in a large network environment.
- Strong knowledge of domain management and Active Directory services.
- Strong troubleshooting and problems solving skills in a Windows-based environment.
- Strong knowledge and skills in Windows Server 2016 and above setup and administration.
- Strong knowledge of using and managing IT Helpdesk systems.
- Thorough knowledge of computer licensing requirements, good problem-solving skills, and constant willingness to renew required knowledge.
- Knowledge of data leak, loss, and encryption methods (McAfee or any other)
- Knowledge of Office 365 support
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, associate degree in computer science or MIS, Industry Certification, or combination of education and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of network administration and related hardware and software with Cisco, Checkpoint, Fortinet, etc.
- Industry certifications in networking or security or systems or service are preferred.
- CCNA certification is required.
The Network Administration should have the following abilities.
- Discuss technical information with diverse technical-level users and discern their needs.
- Facilitate and negotiate.
- Manage large and diverse workloads under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records.
- Analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
- Work with minimal supervision
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Routing protocols OSPF, EIGRP, BGP.
- Experience supporting a decentralized company structure.
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail.
- Work independently and contribute to the overall operations of RSC Africa.
- Actively participate in implementing the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is required for all successful candidates.
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- Background check which includes references, and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please Note – CWS recruitment is free of charge.
Church World Service (CWS) does not charge fees of any kind during the recruitment process (Submission of application, interviews, assessments, trainings, etc.). Any solicitation of funds should be reported to Fraud@CWSAfrica.org.**
How to apply
How to apply
Log on to CWS careers site- https://cwsglobal.org/work-with-cws/
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Branch Coordinator –Nairobi Branch at Young Women’s Christian Association of Kenya
- Program Quality Coordinator (readvert) at Danish Refugee Council
- Emergency Response Coordinator at Danish Refugee Council
- Senior Program Officer at Young Women’s Christian Association of Kenya
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at Young Women’s Christian Association of Kenya