Desired start date: ASAP
Length of the mission: 1 year
Location: Nigeria, Borno State, Maiduguri
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Current coordination is based in Maiduguri while a representation office is set up in Abuja. In 2020, SI opened a base in Zamfara State to start Emergency Response in North West, where the security and humanitarian situation has been deteriorating in the past few years.
Security and humanitarian situations in both North East and North West as well as epidemic outbreaks, continue to affect millions of live in those areas. SI is responding to the humanitarian needs of displaced populations and host communities through Wash, Shelter & NFI, FSL and Emergency activities. Through strategic partnership, SI also promotes integrated approach with health and protection sectors.
The mission’s annual budget is around 9 million euros in 2021. The mission has potential for development in its current area of intervention as well as in the North-Western part of Nigeria, where limited actors are currently present. The mission is staffed within 18 and 20 international and 220 national personals with a wide range of profiles working on 5 operational bases: Maiduguri, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno in Borno State, Gusau in Zamfara State.
Security context is challenging in both North East (Borno) and North West (Zamfara), Nigeria, justifying specific arrangements. Depending on the evolution of the security situation, access to the deep field varies from limited to none.
ABOUT THE JOB
In close collaboration with the Country Director (CD), the deputy country director ’s prime objectives are to provide leadership and management of the strategic programming, overseeing the strengthening of SI’s program development, quality and accountability. The DCD ensures the internal coherence between program activities and is responsible for ensuring that programs are driven by needs, based on evidence, adaptable to contextual changes and conflict sensitive, monitored closely and resourced appropriately.
The DCD is part of SI Senior Management Team and has direct line-management of the Program Coordination team (WaSH Coo, MEAL Coo, Shelter Coo Assistant and FSL Coo Assistant).
- Complex security and regulatory environment that impacts capacity to deliver goods and services to the deep-field areas as well as can limit access of humanitarian staff;
- Position requires strong coordination capacities as well as leadership in order to coordinate multiple and different actors across different states;
- Need to keep increasing the quality and development of new approaches in WaSH, which require strong technical capacities;
- Play a key role in incorporating protection and DRR mainstreaming within Wash activities;
Priorities for the 3 first months
- Follow-up and Coordinate on-going WASH response (including Epidemics) in both Northeast and Northwest Nigeria;
- Support the development of sector-specific strategies, strengthening of RRM department;
- Ensure project management and technical monitoring tools are developed and in place across all the WASH programs;
- Actively engage in external coordination with humanitarian partners, and contribute to raising the profile of SI aligned with its three-fold strategy
Skills and experience:
- Master’s Degree, ideally in Humanitarian Program Coordination, International Development, International Relations;
- Minimum 5 years work experience in similar setting and responsibility (conflict / post conflict country);
- Experience in implementing/supervision emergency and/or early recovery projects;
- Excellent management skills specially of large scale program (experience in HR, projects and stress management);
- Fluent English
- Knowledge of emergency and/or early recovery programming;
- Technical knowledge of WASH, Shelters, RRM and/or MEAL is an asset;
- Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments;
- Ability to work under stress/pressure and meet tight deadlines;
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position
According to experience, starting from EUR 2600 gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 2860 euros gross per month) and a monthly Per Diem of USD 600. SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.**During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months.
Social and health cover
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which refunds all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The Deputy Country Director – Programs will be based in Maiduguri, where all the coordination and regional teams are based.
In Maiduguri, the base offers a comfortable environment despite limited movements outside of the compound for security reasons. The Guest House offers good living conditions, with a private bedroom and bathroom and shared and comfortable common spaces. Electricity and internet are available at the office and at the GH at all times. Volleyball and badminton court, ping pong, and some gym equipment are available in the GH. All essential goods (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. Maiduguri has a good social life, even though the Covid-19 context has slowed it down. Visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places.
COVID 19 :
SI recommends vaccination against Covid-19, using WHO approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure in order to reduce the logistical constraints once on the ground.
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English using the following link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=70656
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about SI, please visit our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/