COOPI is looking for a Project Manager/Area Coordinator in Nigeria
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin.
COOPI’s aim is to support the most basic and pressing needs of communities affected by the conflict. COOPI is providing a multi-sectoral emergency response to the IDPs, returnees and host population focused on food security, nutrition, protection and education. COOPI main area of intervention is Yobe and Borno State and we are also present in Sokoto state in North West.
The proposed project to be implemented through a consortium is to provide immediate humanitarian assistance to displaced and host population members in Zamfara, Sokoto and Katsina states. The consortium proposes to implement a protection-mainstreamed, multi-sector, integrated emergency response program that aims to meet the immediate needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities in the three states.
COOPI will implement integrated WASH, Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA) and Child Protection activities in Gonronyo and Rabah LGAs of Sokoto State.
Description of the role
The Project Manager will specifically manage the project for multi-sectoral emergency response in NW Nigeria, while also supporting the development of the overall portfolio of COOPI’s activities in the region.
Country Strategy, planning and program development in area of intervention
- Contribute to identify needs and opportunities for expanding COOPI’s interventions in targeted area through field missions, needs assessments, and data analysis;
- Develop COOPI’s intervention strategy for the area and ensure COOPI’s strategic objectives for the area are achieved;
- Support COOPI’s positioning with key stakeholders in the area by leading negotiations with local stakeholders, representing COOPI in local coordination platforms, and participating to donors meetings;
- Support proposal development for opportunities in the area.
- Provides overall managerial oversight to the project and support project implementation team;
- Ensure cross-departmental coordination including consortium partners’ components such as conflict management, social protection and livelihoods;
- Work with consortium lead and partners to maintain and update project implementation plan;
- Plan and monitor the activities’ progress, in compliance with the donor regulations, Consortium lead and COOPI’s procedures, making use of the financial instruments provided by the organization;
- In collaboration with the Program Manager and Head of Base, prepare all the formal communication and contract modification requests of the project;
- Ensure smooth management of COOPI base;
- Put in place and follow in accountability beneficiaries feedback’s mechanism;
- Represent COOPI with the local / State authorities, consortium lead and partners;
- Work closely with the team to drive critical assessment during inception phase including baseline, market and value chain assessment and mapping exercises.
Admin / Finance and Monitoring
- In collaboration with the Administrative and the Logistics team, plan and monitor the expenditures in line with the project’s implementation needs;
- Finalize the data provided by the team, support the preparationof the narrative reports expected by the donors and by the partners;
- Work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Advisor hired by lead consortium partner that ensure oversight for all monitoring and evaluation across all activities and implementation;
- Monitor the accuracy and efficiency of activities;
- Ensure compliance with the fund and timely fulfillment of project’s reporting requirements.
- Liaise with logistics / procurement team to ensure the goods purchased for the project;
- Support to update the inventory and guarantee the respect of the policies and guidelines, in cooperation with the Logistics Office;
- Ensure safety of staff and beneficiaries and work closely with COOPI Security Manager and Logistic team.
- In coordination with the administrative team, support in hiring of new staff directly related to the project and conducts staff appraisals;
- Supervise the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the staff;
- Follow and enforce all COOPI codes of conduct and policies.
Internal and External representation of COOPI in Northwest Nigeria
- Delegated by the HoM, manage relations with institutional donors and potential ones;
- Act as the senior representative of COOPI in NW;
- Oversee the field bases and operations in NW Nigeria;
- Liaise/exchange information with the state counterparts and humanitarian system to ensure adequate organizational representation and common positioning in humanitarian issues;
- Promotion and defense of humanitarian principles towards all stakeholders;
- Maintenance/expansion of regular relations with field-based donors, authorities and partners;
- Compliance with national laws, regulations and best practices;
- Ensure respect of COOPI Code of Conduct by all COOPI staff;
- Development of an information (formal/informal) network.
Safety/Security of COOPI personnel and assets
- Analysis, identification, quantification and mitigation of assessed risks;
- Maintenance of updated security plans;
- Development and maintenance of security network (formal/informal) at field level;
- Responsible for decisions regarding the Security and Safety;
- Closely coordinate with Crisis Management Team (Country Director, Deputy Country Director and Logistics Coordinator) for any developments on the security situation;
- Brief all staff on security and context changes as needed.
- Supervise the Protection team to ensure protection mainstreaming;
- Execute any other task necessary to good and timely completion of the projects, identified in mutual agreement;
- Perform any other duties as requested by the supervisor;
- Work closely with communication team.
- Master’s Degree in Humanitarian / Development Studies / Social Sciences or any related field;
- At least 5 years of working experience in / with INGO on Protection, WASH, Social Protection, Conflict Management & Peace Building and Livelihoods / FSL area, Cash Programming;
- Experience in managing Protection, WASH and livelihood development activities;
- Experience in managing USAID/BHA, EU, ECHO and other key donor funded projects;
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts;
- Expertise in sustainable livelihoods, safety nets programs, in particular;
- Data collection, analysis, and report writing including post-distribution monitoring (PDM);
- Excellent in written and spoken English;
- Demonstrated success in community resilient programs and technically sound in Cash transfers, capacity building and other social protection components;
- Proven commitment to accountability practices;
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills;
- Knowledge of and adherence to Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines.
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, and deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of working in inter-cultural environment;
- Ability to plan, organize work, communicate and reports effectively (both in writing and verbally);
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Team player, effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, able to work in a multicultural environment.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
How to apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter via the following link – https://coopi.org/it/posizione-lavorativa.html?id=4827&ln=
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Niger: Chargé.e de Développement de Projets – Niamey at ACTED
- Horn of Africa: Project Development Officer – Mogadishu at ACTED
- Niger : Coordinateur.trice Technique WASH – Niamey at ACTED
- Health Coordinator at International Rescue Committee
- Coordinateur Administratif et Financier (H/F)–Niamey at Solidarités International