Desired start date: February 2022
Duration of the mission: 1 year
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Current coordination is based in Maiduguri, while a representation office is set up in Abuja.
In 2020, SI opened a base in Zamfara State to start Emergency Response in North-West, where the security and humanitarian situation deteriorated in the past few years. In NW, SI is currently active in Gusau and Anka with RRM capacities across Zamfara State.
Security and humanitarian situations in both North-East and North-West as well as epidemic outbreaks, continue to affect millions of lives in those areas. SI is responding to the humanitarian needs of displaced populations and host communities through Wash, Shelter & NFI, FSL and Emergency activities. Through a strategic partnership, SI also promotes an integrated approach with health, nutrition and protection sectors.
The annual budget of the mission is around 9 million euros in 2021. The mission has potential for development in its current intervention area and in the North-Western part of Nigeria, where limited actors are currently present.
- 5 operational bases: Maiduguri, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno in Borno State, Gusau in Zamfara State
- Coordination Office in Maiduguri and Representation Office in Abuja.
- The number of expatriates is variable between 18 and 20
- The national staff is about 220 staff
- The total budget of the mission is around 9 million euros
ABOUT THE JOB
The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of WASH. He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and, more particularly, the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country. He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
Priorities for the first 2/3 months:
- Follow-up and Coordinate on-going WASH response (including Epidemics) in both Northeast and Northwest Nigeria;
- Ensure strong and close support to the PMs/Bases in the design and toolkits technical development;
- Ensure project management and technical monitoring tools are developed and in place across all the WASH programs.
- Previous experience in coordination position;
- Minimum 3 years of experience of project implementation in WASH humanitarian response;
- Experience in emergency contexts and protracted crises (conflict / post conflict country);
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff;
- Experience in functional management of WASH Program Managers, Deputy FCs Programs;
- Experience in external representation at sector coordination level;
- Capacity to work with diverse stakeholders to develop consensus;
- Ability to develop a cluster strategy and to clarify complex strategies for operational implementation;
- Strong knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing;
- Strong technical knowledge on water supply and sanitation.
- Technical skills on Fecal Sludge Management is an asset but not mandatory;
- Knowledge of community mobilization, water and sanitation social management, hygiene promotion methodologies and public health basics is an asset.
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Quick decision-maker and work in autonomy;
- Good resistance to stress and pressure;
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills;
- A great team player and leader;
- Excellent interpersonal and capacity building skills
- Remote management skills
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
Salary : According to experience, starting from EUR 2640 gross per month (EUR 2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of residence and the mission.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract**.**
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The WASH Co lives in SI’s compound – guest house (GH) with the other international staff. He/she has private room and shares the bathroom and the kitchen. The GH is next to the office and located in a residential area.
Maiduguri provide proper living conditions. Electricity is available at the office and at the GH (except a small period during the night), communication and internet are available, either on the SI provided network or the 4G network. All essential goods (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket.
Security context is challenging in both North East (Borno) and North West (Zamfara), Nigeria, justifying specific arrangements in terms of movements to the field.
How to apply
Please send us your CV AND Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=68136
Please bear in mind that we receive a high volume of applications, which means it can take us a few weeks to get in touch with you.
If you are shortlisted, please not that SI’s recruitment process usually includes: an HR interview, reference checks, written test, technical interview.
Eventually, please note that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
If you haven’t made up your mind yet, check our website.