Job Title: Nutrition and Gender Assistant
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Baringo County
Restrictions: Fixed term, full time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Reports to: KEJ5 Programme Manager
Benefits: 22 days annual leave, Medical Insurance (self + spouse and upto 4 children), 10% Employer pension contribution and 25% leave allowance
Annual Consolidated Salary: Kes. 1,056,000/-
Organisation Overview: About Self Help Africa & United Purpose In late 2021 Self Help Africa (SHA) and United Purpose (UP) merged. The two organisations – one headquartered in Ireland and the other in Wales – implement projects to end extreme hunger and poverty.
This merger doubled our size and reach – and means that in 2022 we are implementing poverty eradication projects in 17 countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. Collectively, we are also part of a group that includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, TruTrade and Cumo Microfinance. In 2022 our work will reach more than six million people and invest upwards of €45m in more than 100 development programmes designed to improve food systems, facilitate access to markets and financial services, combat climate change, gender inequality, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene.
This is an exciting time to join us as we unite two like-minded and entrepreneurial organisations seeking to tackle the global challenges in progressive and innovative ways.
The overall objective of the European Commission-funded project is to contribute to improved food, nutrition and income security for 60,000 beneficiaries in Baringo, Kenya. Specifically, food security will increase through increased agricultural production and diversification; and agri-enterprise development, nutrition security will improve through the promotion of nutrient rich crops and fruit trees, kitchen gardening and infant and young child feeding (IYCF) practises and improved nutrition and dietary diversity awareness. The income security of households (HHs) will increase through improved agricultural and livestock productivity; farmer level organisation; improved land and water management; integration into profitable value chains; and improved access to market information and financial services.
It is expected that 10,000 HHs in Baringo County adopt productive, climate-resilient and nutrition sensitive agriculture and livestock production strategies. By the end of the project, 90% of targeted households (HH) will have improved access to extension services and will be diversifying their farming systems. 70% of HHs will have increased crop/livestock production and 50% will have disposable income above the standard of living threshold. Furthermore, 85% of targeted HHs will be applying improved nutrition and hygiene practices and 90% will have an acceptable dietary diversity score, leading to a 5% reduction in stunting of children <24 months at sub-county level. At least 20,000 hectares will be under improved land management.
The Nutrition & Gender Assistant will work closely with the Programmes Coordinator for Nutrition and Gender to support the the Baringo Resilience Programme Manager in the day-to-day implementation of the nutrition and gender components of the projects by keeping track of all output implementation activities and project data/information and assist in collection and analysis of data. This is a challenging and important role for SHA as it is the first contact with the project beneficiaries.
- Support the Programme Manager in the implementation of Nutrition and Gender components in the project area in liaison with the PC-Nutrition and Gender
- Support activity planning and implementation together with the project partners and team in consultations with Programme Manager and PC-Nutrition and Gender
- Work closely with the PC-Nutrition and Gender to plan, coordinate and conduct field assessments and on-going M &E work.
- Support and follow up with partners to ensure the Nutrition and Gender activities are implemented in accordance with the implementation strategy and workplan.
- When required, support field assessments and research activities including data collection and compilation of case studies specific to nutrition, Gender and WASH aspects for the project.
- Follow up on partners and trainers to ensure Nutrition training reports are submitted to SHA through the programme Manager and PC-Nutrition and Gender.
- Collaborate with relevant ministry stakeholders as necessary including representing SHA in the county WASH, Nutrition and Gender working groups.
- Support other activities as requested.
- Programme Coordinator, Nutrition and Gender
- Senior Progamme Manager & Private Sector Lead
- Finance & Administration department
- KEJ5 Officers
- Stakeholders including government, research institutes, financial institutions, external auditors, donors, academic institutions and private companies
- Project Implementing Partner
Knowledge, Experience and Other Requirements:
- Degree in social sciences, community nutrition and dietetics or related fields
- Training and working knowledge of Gender as far as community development practice is concerned is key for this position.
- At least 2 years’ experience in practice on Nutrition, Gender and community WASH programming
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment.
- Experience working in ASAL areas and resilience projects an added advantage.
- Experience working with partners.
- He/ she should demonstrate motivated participation in the learning process.
- Knowledge on community WASH programming is an added advantage.
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment is desirable.
- Experience in gender issues is desirable.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Word and Excel and other related packages
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills
- Ability and resilience to cope with multiple internal and external demands
- High level skills and experience in capacity building and mentoring skills
- Ability to work as part of team across different cultures
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- High level of initiative, motivation, commitment and professi
How to apply
To download the Job description and apply online, please visit our website: https://selfhelpafrica.org/ie/category/careers/
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Technical Advisor to the Ethiopia Dracunculiasis Eradication Program at Carter Center
- Project manager – Policy and financial market infrastructure at FSD Kenya
- Head of Programme Kenya and Tanzania at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Project Officer (based in Baringo County) – GEA Project at Self Help Africa
- Project Officer (Somali Nationals) at Action Against Hunger USA