Helen Keller International Job Announcement
Nutrition Program Manager ‐ ICCM & CMAM study, Baringo County, Kenya
Established in 1915 with Helen Keller as a founding trustee, Helen Keller International works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, Helen Keller Intl currently offers programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States. The organization combats the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research. In Kenya Helen Keller collaborates with the Ministry of Health in implementing health and nutrition projects that focus on strengthening health system and provision of vitamin A and deworming treatment to children 6-5 years in various counties.
About the Position
The position consists in providing technical and administrative leadership, management, and coordination for the Community-based Management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) project implemented by Helen Keller International in Baringo County, Kenya. The project consists in conducting operational research on innovative approaches that will allow CMAM services to reach high coverage of children in a cost-effective way. These innovations include the provision of CMAM treatment by community health volunteers, roll-out the use of contextualized and integrated low-level literacy tools, the integration of CMAM and Vitamin A supplementation and deworming (VASD) and the combination of Integrate Community Case management services with CMAM treatment. The position also entails spearheading the development of a project social behavior change communication strategy to address myths and misconceptions and promote adoption of knowledge, attitude, and practices to facilitate project success.
Position Nutrition Program Manager
Where Kabarnet Town, Baringo County (This is a local position therefore No Relocation support will be required)
Level of responsibility Reports to the National Program Coordination with one direct report
Scope of the position Objective of the Position:
- Provide technical leadership for the design and implementation of the CMAM-ICCM research project and ensure quality implementation of activities
- Ensure coordination of the project at the national and county level with the Ministry of health (Division of Nutrition and Dietetics, Division of Neonatal and Child Health and Division of Community Health) and other relevant stakeholders
- Continuously monitor and supervise the project activities evaluating progress and communicating feedback.
- Provide administration leadership and financial management of the project
- Provide technical leadership for the design and implementation of the research project and ensure quality implementation of activities
- Facilitate design and implementation of ICCM – CMAM research project in Baringo and in liaison with all relevant stakeholders
- Provide technical leadership to ensure all details of the project are coherent, realistic, and are included in a workplan and monitoring and evaluation framework
- Monitor the implementation of activities as per the work plan
- Provide technical leadership to ensure all activities are implemented with the highest standards of quality
- Develop and produce monthly, quarterly, and annual technical reports for the project
- Review and monitor project budget and follow the burn rate throughout the project duration. Propose and follow adjustments to budget to match the needs identified in the field.
- Ensure coordination of the project at the national and county level with the Ministry of health and relevant stakeholders
- Organize and animate project coordination with external and internal stakeholders
- Facilitate and lead the coordination and activities of the project dedicated steering committee at national and county levels.
- Organize and facilitate all relevant meetings and events with Ministry of health and partners throughout the life of the project, including design workshops, evaluation reviews, regular monitoring meetings and project closure
- Continuous monitoring and supervision of project activities evaluating progress and communicating feedback
- Track project performance and regularly update the project monitoring framework
- Document lessons learnt, human interest stories and success stories from the project implementation
- Provide leadership and technical support in implementation of operational study embedded in the project
- Ensure relevant project data are collected, analyzed and document reports to inform program impact
- Provide technical support in the development of manuscripts to communicate on the research results/ evidence generated
- Provide administration leadership and financial management of the project
- Ensure respect for Helen Keller Intl budgeting and procurement procedures for the program.
- Support and facilitate the logistics activities of the project particularly in relation to purchasing supplies and equipment for the project activities to ensuring quality and timeliness
- Manage project budget to ensure all expenses are within the approved limits and meet Helen Keller International standards regarding financial management, accountability, and good governance.
- Provide support to the project staff through coaching and mentorship, foster teamwork through regular communication, information sharing, and provide opportunity for feedback
Qualifications & competencies
- Master of Nutrition, public health or equivalent
- At least ten years’ experience in humanitarian programs
- Demonstrated experience in ICCM and/or CMAM programming
- Demonstrated experience in nutrition and health projects management and coordination
- Demonstrated experience in research and/or operations studies and should have participated in the publishing of a research papers
- Excellent English writing skills
- Demonstrated experience in advanced statistical analysis and operational research
- Ability to analyze data and produce quality reports
- Ability to validate and interpret health data
- Excellent communication, representation and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience in preparation of donors’ proposals, budgets, and reports
- Able to prioritize clearly, oversee multiple tasks, set clear objectives for staff and delegate.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
How to apply
Interested candidates to send their cover letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com. The deadline of application is 23rd January 2023
HELEN KELLER INTL.
- DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, TEST, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
- DOES NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
- DOES NOT RECRUIT THROUGH ANY RECRUITMENT AGENCY.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
- We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individual with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Expert.E Regional.E En Protection Transversale (H/F)–Dakar at Solidarités International
- Chargé(e) de programme at Interpeace
- South Sudan – Program Coordinator (H/F) – Juba at Solidarités International
- Sponsorship Officer at Women and Children Health Empowerment Foundation (WACHEF)
- Programme Officer at Women and Children Health Empowerment Foundation (WACHEF)