Position Title: Nutrition Program Officer
Reports to: Field Coordinator
Number of positions: One (1)
Duty Station: Mandera – Kenya
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in more than 50 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages programs in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA implements more than $60 million in programs annually and approximately 1,500 permanent employees based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Action Against Hunger has been present in Kenya since 2001 and is a transformative leader in nutrition security for improved quality of life among vulnerable communities. Action Against Hunger wants to contribute to the optimal functional performance of National, County, and Community systems through strategic partnerships for innovative nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific interventions to achieve its impact. The organization recognizes gender equality as central to its core strategy towards realization of effective and sustainable outcomes on nutrition, WASH and surveillance interventions. Action Against Hunger is currently implementing activities in West Pokot, Mandera, Samburu, Isiolo, Trans Nzoia, Kakamega, Bungoma and Busia counties.
Summary of position
Action Against Hunger is looking to fill the role of the Nutrition Program Officer to Work closely with MOH, the department of social services and other stakeholders in the implementation of different nutrition programs geared at improving maternal and child nutrition of deprived communities in Mandera county through strengthened nutrition resilience, enhanced health system strengthening and improved evidence based advocacy and providing technical support to the department of health to implement Baby Friendly Community Initiatives including training of health workers and CHVs, Community sensitization, monitoring and supervision of interventions.
The incumbent work closely with several line ministries (Health, Agriculture, and Water), National Drought Management Authority and health and Nutrition Partners in the County to continually improve the health and nutrition status in the County through an array of programs. Work with the Nutrition Manager, program staff, S/CHMT members to ensure that program activities are on time on the scope and within the budgets as stipulated in the various program documents.
. The role of the Nutrition Program Officer has the following purpose, engagement and delivery:-
To support the implementation of nutrition project activities in Mandera County that are geared towards address acute malnutrition among vulnerable populations through a multi-sector integrated approach.
Represent Action Against Hunger in all coordination at the county and sub county level, collaborate with other implementing partners, INGO, UN bodies and the local communities to ensure successful implementation, no duplication and resource wastage and smooth running of the BHA projects.
Work with other program staff, nutrition project manager, field coordinators and other staff to ensure project activities are implemented according to the plans and specifications.
Participate in coordination meetings at the County level with the MOH and Partners including NITWG, CNTF, CSG and any others.
Coordinates with the other nutritional NGOs, UNICEF, WFP, other partners and MoH at County and Sub County level.
Represent the organization in county coordination forums like the County Nutrition Technical Forum (CNTF), County Steering Group (CG), and Multisector Platforms (MSPs) among others.
Participate in the development of the project work plans and spending plans and share them with the program manager or field coordinator for review and input. Ensure that the project is implemented within the stipulated timeline and by the standards prescribed by the county, national and international standards.
Ensures that the Procurement Plans are developed at the beginning of the project and the required procurement requisitions are raised as needed. Participate in the review of the Budget Follow Ups (BFUs) and to ensure that the budget expenditures is as per the work plan and that forecasts are made to reflect the work plans.
Participate in project monitoring, surveillance assessment activities like joint supportive supervision, Routine Data Quality Assessment (RDQA), Coverage Surveys and SMART surveys.
- Essential job functions
- Support Health System Strengthening efforts at the County level.
- In liaison with the County MOH and Partners develop joint work plans for key activities as stipulated in the project document.
- In liaison with the MOH undertake periodic capacity assessment across the health facility staff and structure OJT and Mentorship sessions to the health facilities based on specific needs.
- Work closely with the MOH and undertake classroom training for County teams on various aspects of the nutrition program to enhance program implementation
- Participate in coordination meetings at the County level with the MOH and Partners including NITWG, CNTF, CSG and any others.
- Coordinates with the other nutritional NGOs, UNICEF, WFP, other partners and MoH at County and Sub County level
- Support the development of County work plans with the S/CHMTs and schedule joint supervisions to enhance quality programming
- Support community Health Strategy and Community Resilience activities
- In liaison with the Community Strategy Focal persons at the County and Sub County level, support CHS activities at the community level including community dialogue and action days, sensitization sessions for community members among others
- Work closely with MOH to offer technical support and sustain Mother to mother support groups for improved MIYCN practices.
- Support MOH to develop, implement and monitor Social Behavior Change Communication Strategies in Mandera County
- Support the MOH to develop a practical community feedback mechanism geared at improving service delivery at the County level.
- Supports the nutrition team in the implementation of a community approach through regular contact and exchange with the community leaders,
- Reporting and Program Development
- Compiles program reports on a timely basis in liaison with other program staff; Weekly SitRep, Monthly(statistical and narrative), Quarterly
- In collaboration with the Nutrition Program Manager prepare progress reports, quarterly donor reports, proposals, Program reports project procurement plan and contributes to survey reports.
- In collaboration with Program Manager and coordination team; contribute in defining technical strategy when required.
- Participates in the analysis and drafting of activity reports and evaluation of the project.
- In liaison with the program manager develop a project proposal to address County specific gaps
- Support MOH focal persons on information, data management and reporting through the DHIS
- Participate in the planning, organizing and implementation of surveys, assessments and research studies including post distribution monitoring
- Information exchange and cooperation with all Action Against Hunger interventions and external stakeholders
- Collaborate with all other Action Against Hunger departments and sectors to ensure the projects are integrated
- Collaboration with other Partners, MOH (S/CHMT), INGOs, NGOs, CBOs and the UN working in this area to ensure the smooth running of projects.
- Work in collaboration with the communities and local leaders at all stages of project implementation
- Finance, Logistics
- Prepare cash forecast in liaison with the other program staff in line with the work plans
- Ensure the expenditure is as stipulated in the budget lines and strict adherence to the budget limits
- Propose anticipated budget realignment in line with field realities
- In liaison with the Program Manager and the Filed Coordinator Monitor budget spending in line with the spending plan; ensure diligence in grants utilization including timely spending and value for money.
- Support the Program Manager in monthly budget reviews and suggest amendments to Finance
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- No direct supervisory roles
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Ensure all payment requests have clear supporting documents before being submitted to the finance officer or base admin for payments.
- Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The job also demands long travel to remote areas of the work area, with poor terrain and scorching sun and heat.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the country offices if appropriate. Based on the country office needs, the time spent on field trips will be a minimum of 60% of his/her working time. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
- Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
Foster an environment that reinforces the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men and children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Degree in BSC. Food Nutrition and Dietetics, Public health nutrition option, nursing and any other related course.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in a similar position
- Registered with Kenya Nutrition and Dietetics Institute
- Required Skills & Competencies
- Conversant with the HiNi Package
- Experience in the training of health workers and Community Health Volunteers on various nutrition modules.
- Experience in nutrition counseling to caregivers and community
- Experience in conducting community dialogues
- Experience from county/national government and INGO sectors is an advantage.
- Knowledge of main donor requirements including UNICEF, ECHO, USAID, EU, Private donors etc.
- Language skills: English and Kiswahili fluent, local language is an asset.
- Good communication, teamwork, Knowledge of MS Office,
How to apply
All candidates should apply through the link address: CLICK HERE. The position is open on a rolling basis and closes on 16th October 2022 at 6:00 pm. The position is open on a rolling basis. Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Community Liaison Officer, AO at the British High Commission (BHC) Nigeria
- Driver at Malaria Consortium – Kogi and Plateau
- Health System Strengthening (HSS) Coordinator at Palladium Group
- Grants Writer at Impact HER Africa
- State Team Director – Task Order 3 at the Management Sciences for Health (MSH)