The USAID Burma Responsible Investment and Trade Activity is a five-year (2020 – 2025) activity that will work with a broad range of international and domestic private sector firms and civil society actors to promote civilian ownership of the Myanmar economy by increasing the share held by responsible, accountable, and transparent firms. Through the Activity, USAID will increase trade and private sector investment. To attract and sustain investment and trade, the Activity is supporting firms operating in or entering the market in Myanmar to improve corporate governance, business transparency, and competitiveness.
DAI Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. DAI does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, veteran status, or other non-merit factor.
Consultant Title: Off-grid solar experts
Project: USAID Responsible Investment and Trade Activity
Reports to: Private Sector Director
Overview of the Position:
DAI is seeking off-grid solar experts on a freelance basis to support its USAID Responsible Investment and Trade Activity (“Activity”) in Myanmar. The experts will have an interest and willingness to work across the Activity’s initiatives, particularly with regards to supporting solar home systems and productive use companies to expand and sell their products throughout Myanmar.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The experts must be well-organized, detail-oriented, and self-directed individuals. They will support one or more of the following tasks within or across private sector development:
- Conduct research or feasibility studies or market analysis, or otherwise make recommendations, on areas the Activity could support for the scaling up of the off-grid solar industry in Myanmar.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the Activity on off-grid solar energy technology as it relates to Activity initiatives.
- Assist with the selection of off-grid solar companies for Activity support to increase their sales or obtain financing to increase access to electricity for consumers and SMEs, particularly in non-urban areas of Myanmar.
- Assist with design of, and potentially lead capacity-building measures for, off-grid solar companies in Myanmar to increase their sales or obtain financing.
- Assist in raising awareness among Myanmar businesses and citizens of the benefits of off-grid solar energy, including what constitutes an acceptable business development proposal.
- Support design of, and potentially participate in, multilateral and regional exchange workshops, webinars, or training for off-grid solar system stakeholders, including SMEs, consumers, and development projects.
- Advise on partnerships and alliances with multilateral and regional strategic partner organizations in this industry.
- Support the Activity’s engagement with other development projects and stakeholders in Myanmar for the scaling up of the off-grid solar industry in Myanmar.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in energy or environmental policy, engineering, business or public administration, economics, finance, or similar technical field; advanced degree preferred
- Demonstrates proven understanding of technologies or strategies, private sector development, stakeholder engagement, and networking skills needed to support the development and for the success of the Activity
- Strong background in the solar energy sector, preferably in the context of private sector development
- Proven experience in planning, designing, and implementing off-grid electricity projects including rooftop solar, solar home systems, and appliances.
- Understanding of energy policies, regulations, technologies or strategies, private sector participation, and institutional development needed to support the development and for the success of the project and analytic work
- Strong project management skills, interpersonal & public relation skills, problem-solving skills, and creativity
- Competent with standard Microsoft Office suite
- Experience working in the development or private sector.
How to apply
Fill out the required information and upload your CV. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill positions, only shortlisted applicants will receive notifications on the next steps.
Please apply here: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/suag45ontr/index.html?1638224180347