VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (VN)
Vacancy No. IOM-VN/0058/23
Position Title: Operation Assistant (Document Verification) Team Leader
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term (OYFT)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Posting Period : 01.06.2023 to 10.06.2023
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision Senior Movement Operation Manager and the direct supervision of the National Operation Field Officer, the Operation Assistant – Document verification (Team leader) is responsible for supervising document verification activities in Addis Ababa and on the field. The successful candidate shall be responsible to carry out duties related to document verification activities. In particular, he/she will be responsible for the following:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Coordinate a team or teams of up to a total of five staff members undertaking document verification activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at different government offices, including municipalities, court, Immigration, Nationality and Vital Event Agencies (INVEA), Refugee and Returnee Service (RRS), schools or other in relation to document verification.
- Coordinate and undertake staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of document verification activities.
- Liaise with different embassies who signed service agreement with IOM and work on how to streamline and strength the day-to-day activities with the project goal and purpose that benefit both parties of the project.
- Coordinate and supervise the document verification activities and team and ensure all verification request are undertaken and reported on-time as per the SOP and guideline set for document verification.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of official letters to different offices, to facilitate the verification of documents received from Embassies and follow-up timely registration and update of related data.
- Perform the document verification activities being requested by different embassies as per established guidelines or standard and submit the verification report to the respective embassies in a timely manner.
- Prepare cost breakdown and invoices for each document verification based on the different clients’ SOP and guidelines and analysis statistical data, generate, and submit report.
- Notify the supervisor and Operations Staff about tasks or assignments performed and challenges as well related to document verification and others on a daily basis.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, Quarter, and annual document verification reports, then share with supervisor.
- Facilitate raising of Purchase Order and Payment requests for all document verification related costs and Coordinate with finance in raising advances for service fees to be paid to different issuing offices and subsequently settlement of advances on time.
- Attend different meetings, workshop on document verification and represent IOM in professional manner and report meeting result to supervisor.
- Conduct field trips to monitor and evaluate the document verification activities; understand the challenges and limitation and come up with possible recommendation that improve the project activities.
- Any other duties within the incumbent’s capabilities as assigned by the supervisor or the Head of Office.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in social science with four years of relevant experiences in Immigration and Visa processing, vital event registration and processing, and fraud detection or
- College diploma in social science and six years of relevant experiences in Immigration and Visa processing, vital event registration and processing, and fraud detection or
- Having third grade driving license and excellent driving skills is an advantage
- Relevant years of professional experience in Immigration and Visa processing, vital event registration and processing and fraud detection
- Experiences in data recording and management, document verification, third country resettlement, family unification and other humanitarian admission.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government, UN-agencies, different countries embassies and international organizations.
- Appreciation of different cultures, languages, believes, Sex and diversity.
- Experience in working humanitarian agencies, especially the UN agencies, I/NGOs, supporting refugees is essential.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in using Microsoft Office packages – (Outlook, Word, Access, and Excel) is required
- Fluency in English and Amharic (oral and written) is required.
- Knowledge of other local languages an advantage.
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioral competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and a work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
- For Internal applicants – please send your application letter enclosed with your updated CV to DL_ETH_IOMEthiopiaHR@iom.int, by putting the vacancy number and job title in the subject line.
- For External applicants: you are required to send your application with an updated CV to RECADDIS@iom.int
- Any application that does not fulfill/attach the below-listed documents will not be considered.
- Motivation/Application letter indicating the short vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the short vacancy notice.
- CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone)
- Copies of all Academic Certificates from an Accredited University
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Youth Technical Advisor II, New Business Development Unit at International Research and Exchanges Board
- Operation Assistant (Document Verification) Team Leader at INTERSOS
- Country Director at Trócaire
- Safety Advisor – Mobile at International NGO Safety Organisation
- Responsable de Développement de Projets, Bangui at ACTED