Timret Lehiwot Ethiopia (TLHE) is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization with a social enterprise wing founded in July 2004 to fulfil its vision of creating healthy, empowered and inspired societies with a good record of achievements working with communities and partners to bring positive change in Ethiopia.
Timret Lehiwot Ethiopia (TLH) is currently implementing DKT Ethiopia’s Wise Up program nationwide since 2007. Wise Up Program (Wise Up) is DKT Ethiopia’s first large-scale sex worker projects in Africa when it was launched in 2007. It was also the first of its kind in Ethiopia. At its peak in 2015, Wise-Up was active in 28 cities & had 32 drop-in centres (DICs) nationally & was well known within the HIV-prevention community. Since inception, the Program has trained 37,000 female sex worker (FSW) peer educators, conducted tens of thousands of rounds of outreach, and convinced numerous duty bearers-bar owners, police, brokers, and health workers-to help FSW fulfil their rights to health and freedom from violence.
In light of the need to reinforce our Wise Up program, we are looking for individuals who want to join a passionate, dynamic and committed team of TLHE.
Purpose of the position
The Outreach Worker is responsible for the smooth and successful implementation of the Wise Up Program in his/her assigned place of work.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Programmes Manager, the Outreach Worker will perform the following duties:
Lead the overall management of the Drop In Centre/HUB
- Coordinate the overall DIC/Hub work plan development and implementation;
- Provide leadership and management for the coordination & delivery of DIC/HUB activities
- Conduct day and night outings (outreach activities) to reach target groups
- Deliver innovative programme and operation models and approach for sex workers programming including social enterprising.
Conduct peer trainings and sex worker empowerment activities
- Actively lead the recruitment of sex workers for training in close collaboration with bar owners and other stakeholders.
- Train sex workers to build their skills of proper condom use and disposal, negotiation skills, STI knowledge and recognition skills, on sexual reproductive health, personal communication skills with sexual partners, reducing drug and alcohol abuse.
- Promote empowerment and social development activities for female sex workers through rolling out the Active Citizenship Package.
- Increase the use of safer sex practices and improve health care seeking behaviour of sex workers and other target groups through different interventions.
- Counsel and refer sex workers to health facilities for various services.
- Facilitate, coordinate and conduct orientation and sensitization workshops for establishment owners and other stakeholders.
Working with partners
- Liaise with government signatories and other stakeholders to facilitate Program appraisal to ensure the expected results are achieved and resources are managed;
- Collaborate with partners and other organizations working in the areas of HIV/AIDS.
Manage financial resources, supervise staff, reporting
- Supervise and manage outreach team in the assigned location
- Oversee management of financial resources for DIC/Hub, including expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Ensure appropriate actions are taken to optimize use of programme funds
- Compile and submit periodic reports and other necessary information for the head office, local authorities and partners
Employment Condition: 6 month contract.
University Degree in Nursing, Social Work, Sociology, or any related fields
- Minimum 2 years experience working in a related field in the specific Program area
- Computer proficiency in MS Office
- Good command of oral and written English and Amharic
- Good interpersonal and communication skill
- Flexible, self-motivated and able to organize work independently with minimum supervision
- Team work; problem solving skill; organizational skills, attention to detail and high quality results and ability to multitask.
How to Apply
TLHE strongly encourage qualified women to apply. Only short listed candidates who fulfil the requirements will be contacted.
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should send/drop their non returnable CV, Application letter and supporting documents outlining the position and place of work applying for at the subject of their email/ package within 6 consecutive working days ( from April 5-12,2019) to:
Timret Lehiwot Ethiopia
Human Resource Department
- O. Box 11089
Tel: +251111220844 / +251111236309
For hand delivery TLHE Head Office is located at Shero Meda, behind Wereda 01 Administration, Gulele Sub City, Addis Ababa
- Job City Addis Ababa, Adama, Bahirdar