Plant Breeder – Groundnut, Eastern and Southern Africa
(IRS Position Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Within the Target Region)
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) as a member of CGIAR, and pursuing its mission to apply science to sustainably increase crop production and improve livelihoods, is establishing a breeding program for groundnut in Eastern and Southern Africa. This program will be designed and implemented in close association with national programs and other partners.
The objective of this position is to enable truly collaborative CGIAR-NARS breeding programs that accelerate the rate of genetic gain and increase the varietal turnover rate of groundnut in the target region. The scientist will work with NARS, CGIAR initiatives, such as Excellence in Breeding (EiB), and other stakeholders to develop modern and effective breeding, and variety deployment strategies. The successful candidate must be committed to developing and enabling CGIAR-NARS coordinated breeding networks, which will include other value chain partners and collaborators. This position will report to the Breeding Pipeline Modernization Expert.
The duty post will be Nairobi or a mutually agreed location within the target region.
- Establish and lead the breeding activities for the CGIAR component of the CGIAR-NARS network.
- Design and implement an effective collaborative breeding strategy to develop elite breeding material, and a product advancement process to identify candidate new varieties for targeted market segments and product profiles.
- With NARS and selected other partners, identify, obtain, and develop appropriate germplasm to sustain breeding programs.
- In association with multidisciplinary network scientist & staff, EiB, and partners, develop modern population improvement and testing strategies.
- Co-ordinate the development of a stage-wise multi-environment product performance testing strategy, data analysis and advancement process, which is aligned with crop market segments, TPEs or agroecologies.
- Ensure cost effective breeding operations, and standard operating procedures that deliver agreed quality and performance indicators.
- Develop strong partnerships with national public breeding programs to collaboratively identify critical germplasm, product needs and define complementary breeding objectives.
- Enable and actively support the regional crop network to collaboratively plan and implement breeding activities that balance the development of individual and shared network germplasm products, and builds capacity to share knowledge, best practices, training, etc.
- Support and contribute to product profile development and seed system activities in the region.
- Contribute to or lead the development of research proposals and other fundraising activities.
- Lead or contribute to publication of research results in international, refereed journals.
How to apply
Candidates must apply here for IRS21149_Plant Breeder – Groundnut, Eastern and Southern Africa. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, February 14h, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.