SHOFCO is a grassroots organization that unlocks the potential of urban slum dwellers to lead hopeful and fulfilling lives. SHOFCO disrupts survival mode by providing critical services including health care, clean water, education, and economic empowerment; and links these efforts to a community-led advocacy platform. Over the next 5-10 years, SHOFCO aims to become a national platform for urban slum transformation across Kenya, demonstrating a scalable and replicable model that can be used around the world.
We’re seeking an innovative, results-driven, and passionate individual, with a track record of thought leadership in international health and development, to join our organization as the Policy and Advocacy Lead. The successful candidate will navigate fluidly the cultures of both the private, entrepreneurial sector and the global development community with a specific passion for localization.
We seek a dynamic, self-starting leader to serve as Policy and Advocacy Lead to create and manage systems-level opportunities to address priorities of urban informal communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Informing SHOFCO activities and data collection processes to generate the most powerful insights.
- Using community perspectives and insights to generate practical and effective policy ideas and recommendations.
- Publicly communicating insights and perspectives via multiple channels including written articles, traditional media, and public speaking.
- Attending and potentially organizing and/or hosting events relevant to SHOFCO policy objectives.
- Mapping stakeholders that are critical to SHOFCO policy objectives.
- Building partnerships and coalitions with kindred individuals and organizations to enable system-level action.
- Engaging senior officials in government, diplomatic, philanthropic and non-profit institutions to facilitate actions that positively address priority challenges of urban informal communities. This may include collaborating to write and implement critical policy and guideline changes.
- Working closely with SHOFCO’s CEO and C-team to equip them to represent critical policy perspectives and recommendations.
- Define, build and manage SHOFCO’s overall policy strategy, budget and team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Clear and precise writing ability
- 7-10+ years of experience working in government, advocacy and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change
- Experience managing teams and working in complex, multi-stakeholder environments
- University degree. Post-graduate degree preferred.
- Track record in related fields which could include program / policy design, communications, event planning, and/or data analysis
- Experience working with government, non-profit, and philanthropic institutions
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Deep familiarity with Kenya society
- Only Kenyan citizens or those authorized to work in Kenya will be considered.
How to apply
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer anddoes not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. We, therefore, advise the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for employment.
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed Cover letter and CV to email@example.com stating their current and expected salaries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should reach us no later than 10th March 2023.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Human Resource Director at Shining Hope For Communities
- Social Enterprise Manager at Shining Hope For Communities
- Project Director at Shining Hope For Communities
- Burkina Faso – Coordinateur Financier (H/F) – Ouagadougou at Solidarités International
- National Consultant – Development of the Migration Profile Report for the Republic of South Africa at International Organization for Migration