Position: Policy Analyst
Reporting To: NEAR Director of Policy
Working With: NEAR Secretariat, NEAR Members, Donors and Partners
Duty Station: Remote
Duration: 12 months (with possibility of renewal)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response) is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships. NEAR is a membership based organization with members coming from four regions: Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East.
NEAR is currently hosted by Adeso, an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. Adeso and NEAR both aspire to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: Influencing policy change and enacting systemic change through innovative solutions led by local and national actors.
As a NEAR Policy Analyst, you will work with NEAR members to identify and understand barriers to achieving localisation commitments, including political or systemic issues. You will collect and analyse data from various sources to help NEAR make informed decisions and develop policy options and make recommendations to policymakers. You will need to be able to communicate complex ideas and data to policymakers in a clear and concise way, both in writing and verbally. You will also collaborate with stakeholders to gather input and feedback on proposed policies.
The role will also contribute to establishing and maintaining positive relationships with government officials and agencies. This involves working closely with government representatives to promote NEAR and NEAR member’s goals and objectives within government policies and regulations. You will also be responsible for monitoring and analysing government policies, regulations, and legislation that may impact NEAR’s aims, and develop strategies for engaging with government officials to promote NEAR’s interests.
Under the guidance of the Director of Policy, you will prepare policy and advocacy products on a range of issues for NEAR. You will act as the primary focal point for advocacy and policy influencing to targeted donors, including USAID.
This role is funded under a three-year project that supports civil society mobilisation and advocacy on localisation in 13 contexts across the Global South. You will be expected to make linkages between national or regional civil society advocacy and the influencing work of NEAR, with the support of relevant members of the network and Secretariat.
Policy Analysis and Writing
- Conduct research and analysis of policies related to NEAR’s mission and activities, as well as government policies and regulations impacting localisation issues.
- Develop NEAR’s policy work through the delivery of analysis and high-quality written advocacy products.
- Keep up to date with latest trends and developments in the evolving localisation debates and provide strategic advice and analysis to NEAR Secretariat and members on policy developments.
- Assist in the drafting of public statements for senior leaders of NEAR.
- Provide information to the NEAR Media and Communications Manager to develop press releases, media material, and briefings to amplify advocacy initiatives.
- Provide strategic support as required to NEAR Secretariat staff and members to advance localisation outcomes, helping them navigate and adapt policy and advocacy to changes in the debate.
- Contribute professional expertise and experience concerning aid policy, localisation, and other policy areas relevant to NEAR.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with government agencies in donor capitals and in targeted multi-lateral spaces, keeping up to date with government policies and regulations related to NEAR’s mission and activities.
- Act as a liaison between NEAR and government agencies, representing NEAR in relevant meetings and consultations.
- Provide analysis on government policies and regulations related to NEAR’s work, identifying potential areas for advocacy or collaboration with government agencies.
- Inform NEAR Secretariat and members of changes in government policies and regulations that may impact NEAR’s work and provide guidance on how to adapt policy and advocacy strategies accordingly.
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts within government agencies, including decision-makers and influencers, to support NEAR’s advocacy and influencing work.
- Provide support to NEAR Secretariat and members in engaging with government agencies, including coordinating meetings and consultations, preparing briefing materials, and advocating for NEAR’s positions and messages.
- Identify opportunities for NEAR to engage with government agencies and participate in government-led initiatives related to NEAR’s mission and activities.
- Work with colleagues and members to ensure the delivery of an appropriate range of policy and advocacy activities and products to convey NEARs positions and messages to prioritised advocacy targets, particularly USAID, on key issues.
- In coordination with colleagues, work in collaboration with other networks and NGOs on common positioning and joint-advocacy opportunities.
- Help to identify potential public engagement opportunities in various spaces.
- In full coordination with relevant colleagues, represent NEAR, when necessary, in meetings with external stakeholders, ensuring coherence of our policy position
- Provide analysis for NEAR representation and advocacy in aid coordination spaces, as needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY. This position has no supervisory responsibilities. However, the Policy Advisor is expected to coordinate efforts with key personnel to achieve the position’s purpose.
OTHER DUTIES. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong research and analytical skills: be able to conduct research, synthesize information, and analyse policies related to NEAR’s mission and activities.
- Excellent writing and communication skills: be able to write clear and concise policy briefs, reports, and advocacy products for diverse audiences in English. They should also be able to communicate complex policy issues effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of localisation and aid policy: have a strong understanding of localisation and aid policy issues, as well as the broader development landscape.
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills: be able to think strategically and identify creative solutions to complex policy problems.
- Collaborative working skills: be able to work collaboratively with other members of the NEAR Secretariat, NEAR members, as well as with external stakeholders.
- Experience working in policy analysis and advocacy: have at least 3 years of experience working in policy analysis and advocacy, preferably in the humanitarian or development sector.
- Familiarity with government agencies and policymaking processes: have a good understanding of government agencies and policymaking processes at national and international levels.
- Flexibility and adaptability be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and be willing to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Desirable: Experience in using data analysis software.
- Desirable: Excellent written and speaking skills in Arabic, Spanish, or French.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 April 2023 with “Policy Analyst” on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive.
Each application package should include the following:
- Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information (limited to one page)
- Three Professional References, with complete contact information
All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso / NEAR is an equal opportunity employer.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Research and Learning Coordinator at Adeso
- National Project Officer at European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia
- Regional Education Coordinator (REC) – Southern Africa Region at Jesuit Refugee Service
- Head of Programming I, Juba South Sudan at Catholic Relief Services
- Senior Policy Associate at Abdul Jameel Latif Poverty Action Lab