Reports To: Water Technical Advisor
Length of Contract: 5 years
* Please note that this position is contingent upon award of the funding opportunity and the USAID’s approval of candidacy*.*
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance, and peacebuilding.
Sustainable, Transformative, Accessible, WASH Innovations (STAWI) Project:
Sustainable, Transformational and Accessible Water Interventions (STAWI) project aims to strengthen resilience and expand economic opportunities in targeted northern and southeastern counties through management of water resources, expansion of sustainable water services, and improved use of water within agriculture and livestock market systems. The goal of the project is to 1) Improve governance of water resources and services, 2) increase sustainability of water service delivery, 3) Improve management, efficiency and equitable access to water used for productive purposes and 4) Improve collaboration and learning across stakeholders and strengthen the capacity of county governments for learning and adaptation
As Policy Specialist you will be responsible for the development and implementation of Policy and Governance Strategy. You will support the development of the necessary legislation & policy framework and steer policy dialogue that stimulates enabling environment & investments for expanding water services. You will directly work with the county government, WASH institutions and Private Sector partners towards a strengthened governance in the sector. Your management and technical knowledge must ensure the delivery of high-quality programming.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support WASH policies development and operationalization towards sustainable management of WASH services
- Conduct stakeholder assessment and support strengthening WASH stakeholder coordination in target counties and national level
- Support policy dialogue initiatives to enhance participation of stakeholders and communities in planning and prioritization of WASH investments in target counties.
- Provide technical leadership towards improved governance and capacity building of WASH institutions for WASH service delivery
- Support the county government and WASH institutions to improve regulatory compliance on service provision and resource management
- Participate in WASH networks, meetings, and selected working groups as appropriate to represent the project and ensure collaboration and visibility
- Working with MEL, help define targets with national and county governments as well as water stakeholders, implement data collection systems with partners and monitor progress towards development and business objectives to inform policy development
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline; Environmental science, water/civil engineering required, economics, governance or development studies;
- Relevant professional qualifications an added advantage
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in water sector in Kenya and understanding water sector policy environment
- Demonstrated experience of successful management, including management of functions of complex, multi-activity projects.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships.
- Experience of working in the Kenyan ASAL context.
- Strong relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities.
- Team player with a positive attitude who can work independently while also being highly collaborative and open. Capable of building relationships and influencing the opinions of others.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
Required/Desired Foreign Language: English
Travel Required: 30% of the time to targeted Northern and Southeastern Counties
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Water Technical Advisor, CLA Advisor, Country Representative, Head of Programming, Finance Manager, Regional Technical Advisors, STAWI Program team, Programming staff.
External: Donor,Private sector actors including financial institutions, government agencies/officials, Local/international NGOs, and UN agencies operating in the project area.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Continuous Improvement & Innovation
• Builds Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Strategic Mindset
• Accountability & Stewardship
Leadership and Management Competencies
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Manages and implements high-quality program activities
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities.
CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
How to apply
Please note that the position is contingent upon award of the funding opportunities.
Kindly apply via the link below:
Policy Specialist – STAWI – Job ID: 220000EO