Portfolio Management Officer
GIZ has been in operation in Kenya since 1975 as commissioned by the German government. The current thematic areas for the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) are in the areas of Agriculture, Sustainable Economic Development, and Energy and Climate. There are also projects in the sectors of Good Governance, and Refugees/Migration.
The goal of GIZ is to support the capacity development of people, organisations, and institutional structures in the partner countries so as to enable them to improve their living conditions through their own efforts.
The GIZ project portfolio in Kenya has significantly increased over the last few years, being one of the biggest portfolios in Africa. The structure of the portfolio is complex, with many regional and global projects implemented in Kenya and an increasing number of co-funding from third parties. Main commissioning party is BMZ, however, there are also projects implemented on behalf of other German ministries (AA, BMUV, BMW, BMVg). Also, GIZ internal processes and requirements have increased and the same applies to the procedural requirements of the Government of Kenya.
The Portfolio Management Officer supports the Country Director and the Senior Portfolio Manager Kenya in steering and managing the country portfolio for Kenya.
The Portfolio Management Officer will carry out the following tasks:
- Deputize the Senior Portfolio Manager Kenya in his absence
- Supporting the integration of regional and global projects into the portfolio
- Support for projects in Kenya in preparation, reporting and processing of enquiries
- Support in the organization of visits, appraisal mission and other events relevant to the portfolio
- Coordinating responsibility for various internal processes (e.g. CSH)
- Responsibility for compiling and updating various lists and overviews relating to the Kenya portfolio
- Annual country planning: Participation in the preparation and conducting of reviews
- Taking over processing of ad hoc inquiries from the head office, BMZ or Embassy
- Preparation of the minutes of the KCMT meetings
Other duties/additional tasks
The Portfolio Management Officer;
– Performs other duties and tasks as assigned
The Portfolio Management Officer should have the following qualifications, competences and experiences;
- Master’s degree (Administration, Political Science, Development Studies or similar preferred)
- Deepened knowledge of GIZ procedures and processes, at least 5 years working experience with GIZ in projects and/or portfolio management.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Very good English and German language skills (C1)
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic environment.
Other knowledge, additional competence
- Political sensitivity
- Able to process tasks independently and to provide high quality results
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
4. Duration of Assignment
The duration of the assignment will be until 31st December 2023.
5. Duty location
The duty location is Nairobi.
How to apply
- Submission of Application
Vacancy Reference Number: GIZ/CO/04/07/2022
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications should be done online via the FUZU website and the link is: https://www.fuzu.com/kenya/jobs/portfolio-management-officer-band-4-giz
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Directeur.trice Pays Adjoint.e Développement des Programmes et Qualité at Acción contra el Hambre España
- Supply chain Assistant at Save the Children
- Short Term Environmental Health Manager (WASH)-3 months at International Rescue Committee
- Business Development Coordinator-Re-Advertised at Food for the Hungry
- Solutions Developer (BI)-Readvertisement at Save the Children