The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Research Scientist to work in the Health and Systems for Health Unit within the Research Division.
· Oversee/lead development of field and training manuals;
· Oversee the review and translation of research tools;
· Oversee fieldwork of the proposed research projects to ensure timely implementation of field activities;
· Support proposal writing and other fund raising activities within the unit;
· Oversee data management and analyses;
· Lead and contribute to scientific paper writing;
· Lead the development of project progress reports;
· Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences;
· Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the program;
· Mentor junior researchers and facilitate in the Center’s training programs as needed; and
· Represent the Center at high-level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees.
Qualifications and Experience
· PhD in Public Health, Epidemiology, Demography, Health Economics, or any related field.
· Experience in conducting program evaluations, and managing research projects.
· Possess quantitative and qualitative research methods and analytical skills with expertise in quantitative statistical packages (e.g. STATA).
· Strong scientific writing skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
· Experience managing projects with multiple partners.
· Past experience managing projects dealing with HIV prevention will be an added advantage.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English and include:
I. A letter of application
II. A detailed CV
III. Statement of research interest and goals (1-2 pages)
via our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons**