Sasakawa Africa Association (SAA) is a non-governmental organization that promotes demonstration and widespread adoption of improved pre and post-production agricultural technologies for smallholder farmers. SAA assists host country agricultural development program through its country program. The project is implemented through five interrelated components: Regenerative Agriculture, promotion of improved Post-harvest and Agro-processing Technologies, promote Market Oriented Agriculture in support of pluralistic extension delivery and market access, to develop agricultural extension advisory services and to establish a relevant, efficient and effective Monitoring, Evaluation, Recording and Communication system.
We are recruiting qualified candidates of Nigerian Nationals to fill the position of:
Job Title: Post Harvest & Agro-Processing (PHAP) Program Officer (PO)
- The Program Officer (PO) PHAP assists the PHAP Coordinator and Senior Program Officer in carrying out activities that contribute to the implementation of value-chain extension approach to attain SAA goal.
- S/he complements the job of the PHAP Coordinator and is tasked with specific technical responsibility such as promotion of PHAP machines, or developing nutrition- intervention, or other sub-sector of the post-production sub-sector of the value chain.
- S/he reports to the PHAP Coordinator.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist PHAP Coordinator in development of PHAP program (monthly/quarterly/annual) work plan and budget
- Assist in conducting PHAP needs assessment and contribute to baseline surveys in selected sites in collaboration with other themes.
- Assist PHAP Coordinator to develop an extension program to promote improved post-harvest handling, storage and other value-adding technologies, including the development of off-farm agro-processing enterprise and improving nutrition for rural families. Specifically, advise on economic viability of selected technologies
- Assist in Planning, organizing, coordinating and conducting business-oriented training on economic analysis of PHAP technologies, development and management of agro- enterprises, skills development on market negotiations and product promotion, and basic business skills for farmers and agro-processor, especially women, youth and PwDs.
- Contribute to the development of PHAP training materials for use by trainers and farmers along with PHAP Coordinator and other members of the team.
- Support PHAP Theme Coordinators and the team to implement programs to promote PHAP technologies and agro-processing enterprises, specifically monitor the economic performances of the promoted technologies and agro-processing enterprises, and advise on using them profitably; identify market opportunities and link farmers and processor to these markets.
- Backstop project activities through regular field visits to provide technical guidance and advice to the extension field staff and other stakeholders on time and collect yield and economic data, analyze and produce field reports.
- Assist the team in conducting technology demonstrations, Farmers’ Field Days, agricultural show and experience sharing tours on the use and management of the promoted PHAP technologies,
- Provide feedback to colleagues and partners on technology selection, performance and impacts through demonstrations, meetings and reports.
- Assist PHAP Coordinator in preparing monthly, quarterly biannual and annual technical reports.
- Participate actively in inter-theme activities along the value chain
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Education Background and Experience
- Minimum requirement: B.Sc / M.Sc in Agricultural Engineering, Post-harvest Management, Mechanical Engineering, Food Technology, Agriculture Economics, Rural Development, or any other relevant Education
- 5 / 7 years of working experience on relevant field respectively.
- English Proficiency: Level C1 (Especially writing skills), English Proficiency for Mali: Intermediate, French Proficiency for Mali: Advanced
- Microsoft Office: Intermediate knowledge of Power point, Word and Excel
- Basic knowledge on Econometric and statistical analysis and good reporting skills
- Works with minimum supervision on developing business plan and analyzing economic viability of Agro-enterprises
- Has basic knowledge and practice on agricultural machines operations and maintenance
- Has ability to demonstrate and design simple agricultural equipment
- Has skills in handling groups with diverse areas of competence.
Application Closing Date
24th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their Applications with the Non-returnable documents below to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Submit their Applications with the Non-returnable documents to:
The Country Director,
Sasakawa Africa Association,
No. 8 Kura Road, Off Magajin Rumfa,
Non-returnable Documents to be Submitted
- Application Letters stating intent of interest.
- Curriculum Vitae with 3 Referees
- Copies of Credentials.
- Candidates will be pre-screened and only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.