Position: Procurement and Logistics Coordinator
Career with BRAC International
BRAC International is a leading non-profit organisation with a mission to empower people and communities in situations of poverty, illiteracy, disease, and social injustice. Founded in 1972, by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, BRAC is the largest non-governmental development organisation in the world, and is present in 15 countries across Asia and Africa today. BRAC designs proven, scalable solutions that equip people with the support and confidence they need to achieve their potential. BRAC’s institutional expertise on various programmes, including health, agriculture, microfinance, education, and youth empowerment, is touching the lives of over 100 million people in the Global South.
BRAC International is a leading nonprofit organization with a mission to empower people and communities in situations of poverty, illiteracy, disease, and social injustice. Our approach is grounded in the conviction that people living in vulnerable situations can be agents of change if they are empowered with the tools, skills, and hope they need to change their lives. We design proven, scalable solutions that equip people with the support and confidence they need to achieve their potential. BRAC’s institutional expertise on successfully implemented programmes is applied across 10 countries, touching the lives of over 130 million people, where our models are adapted according to the country’s context.
In 2022, the Mastercard Foundation in partnership with BRAC International (BI) announcing an initiative that will create positive and measurable impact for 1.2 million adolescent girls and young women and 9.5 million people across seven countries in East and West Africa, including Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, and Uganda.
There is mounting urgency to support adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) living in poverty, which has been further amplified by the global pandemic. Through this partnership, scalable economic development approaches will be delivered in communities to foster the agency and voice of AGYW. They will have the opportunity to fulfill their aspirations, achieve sustainable livelihoods, and engage in advocacy issues.
BRAC International will implement an integrated and holistic model to address the various life cycles of a young woman living in poverty, ensuring she is able to transition safely from adolescence to adulthood. She will be equipped with the appropriate skills, tools, and access to finance to effectively exercise her agency and build a fulfilling and productive livelihood.
In preparation for the launch of the program, BRAC International is seeking applications from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position in Rwanda.
Position: Procurement and Logistics Coordinator
Job Location: Country Office- Kigali
The Procurement and Logistics Officer will lead and support country procurement and logistics
across all field operations, oversee and lead all country inventory and purchasing personnel and
systems; and develop, support, and implement long-term strategic partnerships, be part of a very
agile and highly motivated team, the successful candidate must possess a high level of
organization and flexibility, thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume, and dynamic environment, and
provide a broad range of critical support, including while in the field. Supportive functions
include processing service contracts, leases, and rental agreements; assisting in coordinating
logistics and travel arrangements; preparing and managing tenders and bids, supporting project
trainings, workshops, meetings, and surveys in the field, and other duties as assigned.
- Conduct all procurement related activities and ensure compliance with BRAC International, donor and Government of Rwanda procurement and logistic policies and procedures, and national laws.
- Ensure all purchases of goods and services comply with procurement policies and guidelines and that all supporting documentation is up to date.
- Coordinate and ensure all project related purchases are processed, reviewed, and approved in the procurement system and in accordance with BRAC International procedures.
- Maintain records of all transactions, quotations, procurement process, copies of records of expenditure, receipts, etc. in an efficient filing system ensuring all records are accounted for and easily accessible by relevant officers.
- Negotiate effectively with suppliers of commodities and services for the best overall value to the organisation.
- Receive and process incoming requests based on provided specifications and confirm any other relevant information from requestors and seek recommendations from BRAC International Regional and Headquarters as appropriate.
- Maintain a database of reliable vendors for supplies, goods, and services.
- Manage the co-ordination of procurement prequalification process of suppliers, ensuring vendor clearance/checks through System for Award Management (SAM check) for all vendors, Rwanda Revenue Authority (RRA) TIN checks for local vendors and all vendor forms are all in place.
- Coordinate and monitor the delivery of ordered goods and services and ensure all received goods and services are in accordance with the terms and specifications of the purchase order.
- Ensure quality delivery of purchased goods and services.
- Spearhead payment preparation and documentation and liaise closely with the Program Manager and Finance Manager concerning payment of purchased goods and services.
- Assist with processing and maintenance of service contracts, lease, and rental agreements etc.
- Assist in tracking office supplies to ensure adequate stocks are maintained.
- Maintain procurement and inventory tracker and ensure its updated monthly.
- Track all expendable and non-expendable property in compliance with BRAC International, donor and government of Rwanda policies and procedures and assist management with asset disposal as appropriate.
- Provide travel and administrative support to the project team and consultants.
- Organize all team logistics including arranging hotel accommodation, transportation, and conference facilities while ensuring project visibility.
- Track the movement of vehicles for trips outside the office and ensure the vehicles are timely serviced and, in a road, worthy condition.
- Supervise BRAC NGO drivers.
- Maintain compliance with MSI’s safety procedures at all times and contribute to building a strong culture of staff safety on the project.
- Manage the contract for regular vehicle maintenance.
- Reconcile all payments made at the end of every month and submit a detailed report on the fleet and costs incurred by BRAC NGO and AIM project.
- Verify all fuel and maintenance bills and ensure that accurate amounts are paid to respective vendors.
- Ensure that there is a continuous supply of oils and lubricants (fuel).
- Develop quarterly plans and forecasts for all driver and motor vehicle needs.
- Assign vehicles and drivers according to the location, duration and condition of vehicles.
- Ensure BRAC International and AIM project assets including motor vehicles are utilized in an effective and efficient manner.
- Safeguarding Responsibilities
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation
- Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place and encourage others to do the same
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, Procurement and Logistics Management/ Public Administration or any other related field required.
- Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management is preferred.
- Membership of a Professional Body such as Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supplies (CIPS) etc is preferred.
- 5 + years of paid work experience in Procurement and Logistics.
- 3+ years of work experience in an NGO managing different donor grants.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated excellent computer skills for Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong communication skills as well as written and verbal English, Kinyarwanda skills
- Work and make decisions independently and contribute to overall operations at management levels
- Exercise good judgment and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems.
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities
- Maintain the integrity of official records
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions
- Work with minimal supervision and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required
- The successful Procurement and Logistics Officer will combine exceptional people management skills and experience in managing procurement and logistics in a fast- paced environment. S/he will have previous experience in working in an NGO implementing multi sectoral youth, education, livelihoods, and social development projects.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to provide solutions to complex challenges, provide oversight of innovative programs within the current and future program structure of BRAC International.
- S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. The successful candidate will be able to provide oversight across the country portfolio.
- S/he should be willing to travel to remote project locations, have a strong initiative to work in communities and vulnerable adolescent boys and girls, young women and men, support coordination with community leaders, and ensure high quality implementation and accountability.
How to apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Candidates need to send a signed Cover letter in PDF format indicating the title of the position applied for, an updated CV mentioning educational grades, years of experience, and notarized copies of academic qualifications. All those documents should be sent through email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Application deadline is 30 May 2023
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Financial Analyst (Accounting), BRAC International Holdings B.V. at BRAC
- Financial Analyst (Treasury), BRAC International Holdings B.V. at BRAC
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer at BRAC
- Human Resources and Administration Officer at BRAC
- Project Manager – Darwin Extra, Kenya at Fauna & Flora International