Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMCO sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and several island states.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Procurement Manager, the Procurement Assistant provides administrative support in the management of a variety of processes/transactions in implementing procurement and contracting of commodities, materials, equipment and services for Regional Offices and Project Centres, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. He/she uses his/her own discretion to address unforeseen situations, seeking advice from and/or reporting to the supervisor as applicable. The Procurement Assistant liaises with Operations and Support Services Group and project managers in order to ensure best support. In performing his/her work, the Procurement Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to contract administration and procurement processes
- Administrative and clerical support
1. Ensures implementation of procurement and operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Inputs to the office’s procurement business processes mapping and to the elaboration of internal
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Supports contract administration and procurement processes for Regional Offices/Project Centers, UNOPS projects and at the request of other Agencies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for the office;
- Support to the organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation ;
- Preparation of purchase orders and contracts, preparation of recurring purchase orders for contracting of services, vendor creation, maintenance of the filing system in the procurement Unit.
3. Provides efficient administrative and clerical support to procurement processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Processing of invoices for goods and services delivered ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment. Follow up to completion and informing clients;
- Routine follow up action on procurement on behalf of the supervisor and inform supervisor of status.
- Oral/written responses to queries from internal and external clients regarding procurement matters
- Establishment and maintenance of working files on procurement activity;
- Preparation of letters, memoranda, email, etc. to monitor progress and liaise with vendors during the entire procurement cycle; investigation and resolution of post-order problems and preparation of progress reports on procurement matters;
- Liaison with the logistics unit or projects on receipt of goods, equipment’s and services in view of obtaining proper delivery report, RIR, or relevant certificates Ensuring that all supporting documents are available for audit and for review purpose;
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the execution of the Regional Office/Project Centre procurement services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry and financial information, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNOPS capability as an efficient and first-class service provider and contributor to the development of the country.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation : Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- First University Degree in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, or related areas is desirable but not required.
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience in finance and/ or administrative support services and/ or procurement Administration is required.
- Experience in the of Google Suite applications as well as in handling of web-based management systems is desirable;
- Knowledge of UNOPS procurement and financial rules and regulations is desirable
- Fluency in English is required
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
- This position is based in a family duty station
Contract type, Level and Duration
- Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement ( ICA)
- Contract level: LICA-4/ ICS 4
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Job City Nairobi