Overall purpose of the role:
The overall responsibility of the Project Officer – Professional Growth (PO-PG) is to provide technical expertise to the Fair Recycling Project, a 3-year DMDP funded project implemented by DRC (lead), Mr Green Africa (MGA) and Unilever. The PO-PG will be responsible for delivering all activities under output 2 – Transform Waste Pickers to Become Collector Agents – and output 3 – Develop, Pilot and Institutionalize Effective and Sustainable Impact Boosters. (S)he will provide technical expertise on training development and implementation; lead the design and implementation of four different ‘impact booster’ pilots; develop financial models for these pilots and evaluate the financial viability for integration of these pilots into MGA’s ’s plastics recycling model.
The PO-PG will work closely with all consortium members, with a focus on supporting MGA to implement programmatic activities. (S)he will coordinate with other DRC project officers and will undertake other duties as assigned by the DMDP Project Manager (and in matrix management arrangement with Urban Area Manager and technical coordination with DRC Regional Livelihoods Technical Advisor to ensure the project expectations are met). Finally, as the project is a Public Private Partnership, the PO-PG will support the Programme Manager in managing the expectations of and relationships between all project partners (not for profit and private companies).
R1. Implementation and Management of Output 2: Transform Waste Pickers to Become Collector Agents:
- In close collaboration with MGA, help formalize and grow MGA’s community of waste pickers (with a special focus on women, youth >18 years and refugees);
- Lead the development and implementation of processes to enroll waste pickers in MGA’s Loyalty Program;
- Design and lead the transformation from waste picker to official MGA collector agent by identification, mapping and setting up of collection points, agents and partners; developing a ‘waste picker journey’ with clear graduation criteria and providing waste pickers with a basic training on MGA’s standard operating procedures;
- Oversee communications and marketing of the Loyalty Program by rebranding of the waste picker image; informing them of their performance; stimulating them to set and meet targets; communicating current status and rewards eligibility and developing and overseeing the process for Loyalty Program rewards;
- Oversee the implementation of the Loyalty Program, including tracking waste picker performance data; procuring and delivering rewards to suppliers; tracking and ensuring repayment of Loyalty Program associated loans;
- Train relevant staff on the Loyalty Program (especially clerks who have regular and direct contact with waste pickers);
- Be the focal contact person for supplier engagement via the ‘supplier hotline’;
- Collaborate with MGAs operations department, and clerks, to ensure all suppliers registered with MGA are allocated with ID numbers, and have a good understanding of the products that MGA purchases;
- Maintain and track the activities of suppliers in the supplier database;
- Analyze data to generate the following monthly reports for each territory: 1) growth – new suppliers successfully onboarded and tonnage delivered for the month, 2) retention – existing suppliers and their performance and 3) attrition – loss of suppliers
- Collaborate with MGA’s sourcing department to analyze factors that are driving attrition rates and develop potential solutions to decrease attrition.
- Prepare a monthly Loyalty Program update for management, including an analysis of critical success factors, challenges and proposed solutions;
- Being proactive in informing the line manager at MGA of any observed supplier challenges to avert attrition or loss of suppliers and loss of tonnage.
R2. Implementation and Management of Output 3: Develop, Pilot and Institutionalize Effective and Sustainable Impact Boosters:
- Help improve the Loyalty Program using a human centered approach;
- Develop, pilot and institutionalize four effective and sustainable ‘impact boosters’ meeting waste pickers needs;
- Develop financial models for these four pilots and evaluate the financial viability for integration of these pilots into MGA’s plastics recycling model.
R3. Coordination & Partnership:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders, including urban refugee and host community members and leaders, NGOs, UN agencies, and other MGA and DRC team members including partners to enhance multi-agency and multi-sectoral cooperation and coordination on response activities;
- Promote collaboration and synergy between refugee focused interventions and the host communities;
- Actively participate and maintain engagement in relevant coordination meetings and collaborate with other agencies of relevance and/or value add to DRC’s urban agenda;
- Submit timely and high-quality activity, donor and internal progress reports;
- Ensure sector growth in scope through fundraising; identification of sector gaps and root causes analysis and take lead in developing quality concept notes and/or proposals with corresponding activity budgets.
R4. Budget Management & Staff Supervision:
- Support in ensuring sound budget expenditure, ensuring adherence to DRC financial procedures and donor requirements as related to the lead role/sector;
- Draft spending plans, procurement plans, and work plans based on output lead;
- Mentor, provide technical supervision, capacity building and facilitate performance development to output project assistant and community workers.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in supplier management and/or customer service in a commercial enterprise; comprehension of natural resource and waste management and/or the recycling industry is an added advantage;
- Proven experience with customer centric design; having worked in urban displacement responses and/or in multi-sectoral interventions is an added advantage;
- Able to navigate between commercial and non-profit consortium members, their work- and communication style and interests;
- Proficiency with appropriate ERP systems and Microsoft Office tools commonly used within commercial enterprises;
- Ability to analyze large amounts of data and proven data input accuracy and attention to detail;
- Strong customer service and negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders;
- Strong project management skills, team skills for working in a cooperative and diverse cultural environment including experience in managing multiple location and sector project budgets;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (fluent in Swahili and English, both written and verbal);
- Strong planning, organization and problem-solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding working environment.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration Management, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Community Development or other relevant fields.
- English (fluent, spoken and written)
- Swahili (fluent, spoken and written)
DRC’s Core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values.
Contract duration: 10 months. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council terms of employment for National staff.
Availability: March 2022
Duty station: Eastleigh – Nairobi
Internal: DRC, Mr. Green Africa and Unilever
External: Technical Working Group(s), Urban refugee and host communities, Local and National Government Authorities Relevant NGOs/CBOs and humanitarian agencies including DRC partners and donors as appropriate
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, female candidates and those from minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.
How to apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications, which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation, and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. Applications should be sent no later than: 6th March 2022.