ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Come join a team of dynamic colleagues and partners who are passionate about promoting digital rights and Internet freedom! Internews’ Global Technology Department is seeking a full-time Program Associate to support the Greater Internet Freedom (GIF) project. This is a unique, multi-faceted, entry-level role that offers the opportunity to develop administrative and project management skills and build your understanding of how human rights and technology intersect. Program Associates in Internews’ Global Technology Program participate in the direct implementation of publicly-funded foreign assistance programs for human rights defenders.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have excellent written and oral communication skills; strong attention to detail; a knack for keeping highly organized; dedication to keeping things moving and on track; the ability to prioritize competing tasks; comfort with taking initiative; a voracious desire to learn; and the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world. The GIF team is dynamic, flexible and highly collaborative. We value open and honest communication and a great sense of humor. You’ll fit in well if you appreciate a good gif.
This position will support a global, Internet freedom initiative funded by USAID. Internews launched this three-year initiative in August 2020 to enhance digital security for civil society and media organizations, to engage citizens in internet governance debates, and to advance human rights online. The effort will place regional and local organizations at the forefront of the fight to preserve an open, interoperable, reliable, and secure Internet. By supporting localized Internet freedom initiatives within a global, community-based Internet freedom strategy, the GIF Consortium will construct strong local and regional bulwarks against a rising wave of digital authoritarianism.
This is a remote-based position and applicants from the following locations will be considered: United States, United Kingdom, France, Tanzania, Kenya, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Lithuania, Liberia, Mali, Moldova or South Africa.
All remote applicants will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in one of the above listed locations that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
This position has a closing date of 09 April 2022.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
Administration & Finance
- Providing administrative support to ensure that program implementation complies with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures;
- Ensuring the smooth processing of contracting and payment requests and financial compliance by communicating regularly with headquarters’ Accounting and Administration teams;
- Preparing invoices, wire transfer requests, expense reimbursements, and completing credit card reconciliation on a monthly basis;
- Compiling forms and documentation related to subgrants, including payments and reports;
- Assisting with the implementation of contracts.
Writing & Research
- Contributing to the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and other project-related reports;
- Helping track project metrics that serve to measure the success of the Greater Internet Freedom project;
- Drafting communication between Internews and partners;
- Drafting project-specific content for internal and external communications, including blog posts and programmatic highlights.
Events & Presentations
- Organizing meetings, webinars, and other events across time zones with international partners and fellow colleagues;
- Supporting events and partner meetings, including coordinating agendas and travel logistics;
- Attending relevant local events (panels, presentations, etc.) upon request, and sharing notes with team.
Values & Flexibility
- Completing other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Prior experience in international development or non-profit sector (including field experience) OR relevant skills OR a relevant degree;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Willingness to learn and adopt secure communication tools;
- Proven ability to balance and effectively prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines, show sensitivity and understanding for diverse perspectives in a multicultural environment, proactively communicate any challenges you’re facing to your supervisor and ask for help;
- Professional-level fluency in English;
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe.
*Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are still encouraged to apply.*
- Professional ability in Russian or Portuguese;
- Non-profit experience and/or familiarity with US Government rules and regulations;
- Experience working with fully remote teams;
- Interest in Internet freedom, and the intersection of technology and human rights;
- Experience using secure channels for communication;
- Experience using project management tools (e.g. – Trello, Airtable, etc.).
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume through the Taleo application portal. The Cover Letter should be no longer than one page and explain why you’d be a great fit for this position and what drew you to it. The resume should be no longer than two pages. Candidates with the strongest cover letter and resume will advance to the preliminary interview process, at which point we will conduct phone screenings of finalists and narrow down the top candidates for panel interviews. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and would like to hire this position before the end of April 2022; as such, it benefits you to apply as soon as possible if the position is of interest.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
How to apply
Please submit application materials at https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1692