Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying and mitigating threats to freedom worldwide. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House’s Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) team seeks a Program Associate or Senior Program Associate, depending on years of relevant experience, to provide program management support, including financial, logistical, and administrative responsibilities, as well as some research, writing and data and budgetary analysis assistance. He/she will work collaboratively with both DC-based and field staff. This position is based in Washington, DC (temporarily remote due to COVID-19 restrictions) and reports to the Senior Program Officer.
This is a nonexempt position. Position holder must obtain written authorization from supervisor before working in excess of 40 hours in a work-week.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, public affairs, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- One to three years of professional experience in a nonprofit or international development organization, or a similar combination of education, training, and professional background.
- Professional or academic experience in/on the LAC region. Experience living and working in the region is preferred.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and professionally in English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, including organizing files, making payments, coordinating travel logistics for multiple travelers at a time, organizing meetings, and arranging public events, among other administrative tasks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms. Appreciation of and commitment to supporting democratic transformations in the LAC region.
- Strong knowledge of the political, social, and economic context of the LAC region.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and grant-related compliance requirements.
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word. Experience working with budgets and accounting data highly desired.
- Impeccable grammar and proven copy-editing skills, including visual document formatting.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment, take on responsibility, and meet all goals and deadlines.
- Meticulous attention to detail, ability to plan and organize work and track progress both of individual tasks and team efforts.
- Strong writing and editing skills in English.
- Ability to confront difficult professional situations with maturity, humility, and kindness, and to take initiative in proposing solutions to problems.
- Demonstrated ability to receive constructive criticism and guidance from supervisors, and an eagerness to learn.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Take the lead on the day-to-day implementation of specific program implementation tasks, as assigned.
- Work closely with other team members and field staff on the implementation of complex, multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Coordinate activity implementation with the field office, local partners, and contracted vendors.
- Serve as a POC for subgrantees on financial reporting and compliance. Conduct and document contract procurement, with supervision.
- Conduct desk research for policy analyses, assessments, proposals, budget narratives, news updates, etc.
- Draft regular narrative reports on project activities for donors. Liaise with other program staff and program partners to obtain the necessary information.
- Assist in the development and updating of regional and country-specific program strategies.
- Closely monitor project expenditures against projections and liaise with other program staff and Finance Department to resolve discrepancies.
- Draft activity and project budgets; conduct cost-price analyses for proposed expenditures in the U.S. and in the field.
- Prepare expense reports and payment requests in a timely fashion; track their processing.
- Schedule and arrange meetings and events, and liaise with internal and external contacts appropriately
- Assist with travel plans including flight and hotel research and booking, travel authorization, visa applications, etc.
- Conduct media monitoring in English and local languages for news pertinent to the LAC region and produce a regular internal news digest.
- Provide field office backstopping support as required.
- Create, maintain, and update databases for contacts, vendors and others as assigned.
- Participate in cross-team initiatives and internal learning and evaluation exercises.
- Ensure all work products comply fully with standards, policies and mission of Freedom House.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
How to apply