Position: Program Development Intern
JaRco Consulting is an African-owned and operated, international development consulting firm based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. JaRco has been providing technical support for the past 14 years in areas of monitoring, evaluation, and data collection of development and humanitarian programming and interventions at regional, national, and local levels. We are dedicated to improving evidence-based interventions and programs for the well-being of individuals and communities and hold a particular focus on the most vulnerable in Ethiopia and throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
In total, we have successfully conducted over one hundred studies, evaluations, and trainings. Of these, more than 95 have been in Ethiopia. We have experience working in all of Ethiopia’s regions and chartered city administrations. Additionally, we have conducted studies in other African countries, including Cameroon, Gambia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Senegal, Somaliland, Tanzania, and Zambia.
JaRco is experienced in data collection and analysis in agriculture, livelihoods, food security, education, gender, health and nutrition, environment, institutional development, and other variants of socio-economic research across Ethiopia and sub-Saharan Africa. For more information, please visit www.jarco.info.
We are looking for a highly qualified graduate-level intern to join our Program Development Department in-person in our office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. This Department is responsible for the acquisition and handover of new projects to the Program Department. The unit, led by our Program Development Officer, has the primary role of designing the methodologies and technical components for large-scale, multi-sectoral development projects, studies, and surveys implemented in Ethiopia and Africa, as well as the contracting and budgeting negotiations of all assignments.
The internship will be for a period of six months. A stipend and additional benefits will be provided. Please see below for additional details.
Expected Job Functions:
- Draft technical research proposals in response to requests from potential clients
- Support the preparation and revision of project budgets
- Support the Costing and Budget Analyst in the drafting of financial proposals
- Build and maintain relationships with external consultants
- Identify new opportunities to aid in hitting revenue targets and supporting business development
- Organize, update, and manage various project databases
- Manage communications between JaRco and external organizations, including the preparation of additional documentation and presentations for clients and partners as requested
- Manage and update JaRco’s social media platforms and assist in the maintenance of the company’s website
- Support the Program Development Officer in other activities as needed
- Master’s degree in development studies, economics, public health, gender, or a related field
- Knowledge of M&E frameworks, impact evaluations, and quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly motivated, flexible, and self-sufficient; able to take on tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience in project planning and implementation
- Experience in proposal- and report-writing
- Experience living in a developing country
- Past work experience in NGOs, research institutes, donor agencies, and/or consulting firms
- Experience using CSPro, SPSS, or other data analysis software
- Fluency in one or more Ethiopian languages
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with clients and partner organizations
This is a full-time position, and a modest monthly stipend will be provided to cover living expenses. Additionally, JaRco will provide reimbursement for round-trip air travel from the Intern’s home base. JaRco will also cover the cost of work and residence permit applications.
How to apply
Interested individuals should submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (cc: email@example.com) indicating “PD Intern Application” in the subject line by May 15th, 2023:
- Motivation letter
- Academic essay: a two-page essay describing how your academic goals, qualifications, and career aspirations relate to the internship in international development and M&E
- Two letters of recommendation from academic supervisors or previous employer
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- MERL Officer at Plan International
- CONSULTANCY FOR UNDERTAKING TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY AND DEVELOPMENT OF ENGINERING DESIGNS FOR PROPOSED WATER PAN CONSTRUCTION AT ALIKUNE VILLAGE, DAADAB
- Business Development Specialist I-Ethiopia (Remote) at Catholic Relief Services
- Regional Humanitarian Military Interaction Officer (CST II), Dakar at World Food Programme
- CONSULTANCY ON HYDRAULIC MODELLING & HYDRAULIC DESIGN INCLUDING CAMERA INSPECTION AND TEST PUMPING