Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of poverty. Cofounded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited. In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
- The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners.
- The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria.
Scope of the Position
- The Program Officer, will work in conjunction with the program team and be responsible for providing technical and managerial support for the development, implementation and monitoring of activities, for the USAID Advancing Nutrition Project.
- S/He will provide support in ensuring the achievement of project objectives and completion of activities while adhering to scope, budget, and schedule requirements.
- Responsibilities include project start-up, managing the development and monitoring of implementation plans and budgets, program reporting and documentation, donor and partner relations, compliance, programmatic monitoring, and close-out.
- Support the development of work plans and track performance against project timelines, budget, objectives, and deliverables
- Support the development of project budgets and budget modifications, and monitor project expenditures to ensure activities are implemented within budgetary guidelines
- Support implementation teams to achieve timely, high-quality project deliverables and ensure they meet project objectives and donor requirements
- Provide technical support and assist in the implementation and coordination of program activities, particularly for multi-sectoral partnerships, capacity development to local partners, and M&E activities in the target states.
- Support the documentation and dissemination of project accomplishments, results, challenges, and lessons learned among internal and external partners.
- Working closely with the Senior Program Officer, to build and maintain partnerships and relationships with program partners, such as non-profits, federal agencies and community organizations, in order to expand resources, and educate the public about the work of the project.
- Participate in the development of project Implementation Plan, training manual/curricula, and other various standard operational procedures (SoP).
- Assist in developing and monitoring annual work plans, program initiatives, and budget development
- Work with the Grants office to support effective project management, and coordination, and provide support to partners on the project implementation procedure, data management, and effective financial management.
- Provide support as needed, the preparation and timely submission of detailed reports by the partners on project activities on a quarterly and annual basis in compliance with project requirements.
- Support the development of annual, quarterly donor, and government report writing including management and updates.
- Participate in project monitoring and supportive supervision of partners, project sites, and communities.
- In collaboration with USAID Advancing Nutrition Communications team, produce program content for program website and activities as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Social Sciences, International Development or a related field.
- 5+ years of professional experience working in complex programs, preferably with direct experience in Nigeria; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experienced and demonstrated success in coordinating activities with multiple stakeholders to optimize use of limited resources, including development of joint work plans.
- Prior experience in project management cycle.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft software packages: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in teams and cross-cultural settings
- Must possess excellent management, documentation, presentation, and written communication skills.
- Experience in cross-cultural work environment
- Ability to work under pressure in fast-paced environment
- Adaptable, creative, collaborative, and able to think strategically.
- Purpose-driven and outcome-focused – moving roadblocks, tackling difficult problems and action-oriented.
- Operate as a nimble learner – knowing personal strengths, weaknesses, and limits, has a growth mindset.
- Impeccable negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and rapport building.
- Ability to travel regularly to the project states (Bauchi, Ebonyi, Kebbi and Sokoto) as needed
Terms & Conditions:
- This is a local posting in Nigeria, and as such, is subject to local terms and conditions.
Application Closing Date
8th September, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to:firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- External Auditor – Nigeria WAY Project at Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA)
- Investment Manager, Business Development Unit at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Senior Portfolio Management Officer at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Senior Risk Policy Officer at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Investment Manager, Portfolio Management Unit at the OPEC Fund for International Development