Position: Program Officer II – Market Shaping Specialist
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
Market Shaping Practice Summary: R4D’s Market Shaping practice area has deep experience in catalyzing increased access to and improved appropriate use of essential products, towards helping people lead healthier, more productive lives. The Market Shaping practice achieves this by leveraging four technical approaches – market analysis, strategy development, catalytic implementation, and evidence generation – at a systems level, to holistically and sustainably optimize and transform markets. More specifically, we align priorities and incentives of policymakers, procurers, financiers, and manufacturers at the global- and country levels, to develop and catalyze the implementation of evidence-backed solutions for underserved markets at scale. Using practical and business-driven approaches, from increasing market transparency around sizes of various segments, improving demand forecasting, and developing purchasing and value chain strategies, to crafting cost-effectiveness and financing gap analyses, our work ensures that the market operates with improved efficiency and that utilization of life-saving products is also increased. Previously designed market-shaping solutions by R4D have the potential to achieve over a billion dollars in savings and availability of high-quality products in health, including for HIV/AIDS, malaria, childhood pneumonia, maternal health, and neglected diseases prevention and treatment as well as for nutrition, education, and sanitation.
R4D is seeking a Market Shaping Specialist to provide technical contributions to the Market Shaping practice. As a Market Shaping Specialist, you will conduct high-quality research and analysis and provide day-to-day management of new and ongoing projects that rapidly develop analyses to identify holistic barriers in a market, generate evidence, and design creative solutions to address identified barriers. Potential projects you may help to lead include: In close collaboration and engagement with the Ministry of Health(MOH), Pharmaceuticals Supply Services (EPSS) and Ethiopia Drug Regulatory authorities(EFDA), and other stakeholders, working towards increasing access to Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health(MNCH) commodities at community and health facility level through implementing different market interventions at an upstream market level including developing a business case to manufacturers, creating enabling regulatory environment for manufacturers, identifying major hindering factors for access to MNCH commodities at the community level, exploring different sources for sustainable financing for RMNCH commodities, etc. As part of all this work, you will help to manage new and existing stakeholder relationships at both the federal and subnational levels.
A successful Market Shaping Specialist will be highly motivated; a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude. We hope that you value these personality traits as much as we do!
This position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and will report to Associate Director or designated senior team member.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the co-development and co-implementation of different market interventions targeted to alleviate market challenges of MNCH commodities.
- Support the implementation of strategic market-shaping solutions/interventions for MNCH commodities.
- Support the development of qualitative and quantitative analytics, ensuring high quality and technical accuracy.
- Help to develop and operationalize program activities and ensure timely execution of program activities.
- Facilitate the implementation of skill-building workshops, targeted in-person training, mentoring, and coaching sessions to EPSS staff and relevant partners.
- Organize joint project review meetings and supportive supervision, and ensure findings are used to inform the content of the continuous capacity improvement activities.
- Foster strategic relationships with key stakeholders for systematic implementation of program activities.
- Support the internal operations related to funder reporting, engagement, grant management, and budget tracking.
- Collaborate with a different team in the country office on cross-portfolio efforts.
- Manage other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- MA in Public health/Supply Chain/Business/Pharmaceuticals or other related advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience conducting market analysis, developing product introduction / scale-up strategies, and/or expanding access to healthcare.
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills with demonstrated experience developing complex analytical methodologies and frameworks.
- Significant experience developing high-quality deliverables, including presentations and written reports.
- Familiarity with health, nutrition and market shaping strongly desired.
- Demonstrated track record of independently coordinating project work streams.
- Have a strong commitment to excellence and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and successfully managing external relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to deliver compelling presentations with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver high-quality results within fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, per project need.
- Fluency in Amharic and English is required.
- Knowledge of other local language is an advantage.
- Open to Ethiopian nationals only.
How to apply
Please click here to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Program Officer I – Market Shaping Specialist at Results for Development Institute
- Director of Programs – DRC at Mercy Corps
- Senior Call Center Interpreter – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service
- South Africa: Project Lead at Internews Network
- Law Enforcement Training Officer at Wildlife Conservation Society