Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Locations: Biu, Hawul, Bayo, Kwayakusar, Madagali and Michika, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contract length:6 months
Contracted Hours: 35
Reports to: Protection Officer
Competency Level: 1
Salary Band: G
- The Protection Assistant will support in implementing gender-sensitive community-level protection activities, protection monitoring, and information dissemination and referrals guided by Christian Aid’s policies and guidelines for managing information and relevant professional standards in protection work
- Ensure the delivery of protection activities in the Humanitarian response
- Undertake regular field visits with the Small Holder Farmer and FSL teams to identify and address, along with the sectorial teams, potential protection concerns arising from Christian Aid’s humanitarian response.
- Prepare for and organize community consultations and community-based orientation sessions, in coordination with Christian Aid team(s) and other partners
- Participates in developing and updating the mapping of services for threats and abuses (including GBV) that IDPs and Host Community members face in Christian Aid areas of operation
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research
- With support of the Protection Officer, follow-up with humanitarian actors about requests and invitations for community sessions
- Monitors protection issues affecting IDPs and host population in areas of operation
- Support the teams to strategize, plan for and ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection through all programme activities
- With support of the Protection Officer, develop and update relevant Information, Education and Communication tools (leaflets, brochures, posters etc.)
- Coordinate and organize regular internal mapping of services available in the area of intervention
- Support the Protection Officer in developing safe programming and conflict-sensitive approaches to the humanitarian response
- In collaboration with the Protection Officer, ensure program staff are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs
- Facilitate referral of protection issues to relevant service providers.
- Conduct awareness raising and sensitization of relevant Protection messages and beneficiary’s rights
- Assist in any other related matters necessary for the execution of the project
- The Protection Assistant will carry out all Protection activities and will be responsible for the day to day implementation of the various protection activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility under the supervision of Protection Officer.
- She/he will also coordinate local communities, in close coordination with Protection Officer and field teams.
- Build strong relationships with partners, networks, donors, stakeholders and community beneficiaries.
- Build strong relationship with program departments, FSL/WASH Staff, MEAL officers, program managers, M&E units and all in-country and global staff.
- Budgetary / savings responsibility Click here to enter text. Outline the amount of budgetary/savings responsibility this role is accountable for. Make decisions to manage community gate keepers effectively, from identification of volunteers and the day-to-day management of community programme teams.
- Day to day decision to ensure community projects are running effectively and supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas. Make contributions around project proposals, ensuring they are prepared and comply with community expectations.
- Works on complex issues. Problems and issues, risks and benefits may have implications across several project components.
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program goals requiring creative or analytical ability.
Developing self and Others:
- Monitor and supervise the community field agents and government extension workers
Role Related Checks:
- Child protection clearance Standard Counter terrorism screening Required
Applied Skills / Knowledge and expertise
- University Degree in a relevant discipline (Law, Political Science, Social Science, Psychology or any other relevant education profile),
- Demonstrable experience (minimum 2 years) in working with communities in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Capacity and willingness to reside in the field location assigned to and regularly travel to other field locations where Christian Aid operates
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches.
- Good understanding and knowledge in application of do no harm, conflict sensitivity principles and IASC standards and ethics for protection work.
- Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law
- Proven analytical skills
- Understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation
- Good levels of spoken and written English.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Christian Aid’s equal opportunity and gender policies
- Excellent computer knowledge and skills of using Microsoft word, power point and excel
- A Master’s Degree
- Previous experience in protection within a humanitarian response
- Experience in working in Northeast Nigeria
- Demonstrable experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies
- Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster- affected populations, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters.
- Fluency in the language of the working area (Hausa) is appreciated and the international language used in the humanitarian operation
- Considerable knowledge and experience in Child Protection is an added advantage.
Digital / IT competencies Required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Intermediate
- Web content design & development – Basic
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling – Intermediate
- Social Media – Intermediate
Application Closing Date
4th September 2022.
5th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Consultants for COMITAS Social Cohesion, Value Chain, and Market Assessment at Mercy Corps Nigeria (5 Openings)
- Economic Recovery Manager at Danish Refugee Council
- Solicitation for Resident Hire U.S. Personal Services Contractor (U.S. PSC) Executive HR Advisor, GS-15 at USAID
- Assistant Programme Officer – Legal at Refugee Consortium of Kenya
- Terms of Reference for Conducting a Baseline Survey and Developing Monitoring and Evaluation Plan for Tunawiri Kwa Taka Project