Position: Programme Development and Funding Manager
This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya and contributes to the growth of Christian Aid’s institutional funding portfolio and supporting the country programme to ensure strong contract management on their funds from institutional donors. The post holder will work closely with the Kenya Country Programme to initiate new donor engagements and sustain relationships with current donors; to coordinate development of funding applications and to contribute to the development of donor funded programmes; and, to advise and provide support on delivery of on-going contracts ensuring compliance with donors’ and Christian Aid’s regulations.
This is a senior role that is expected to engage at strategic levels both at global, country and corporate levels to influence Christian Aid’s business models and the way we deliver our programmes. The role will be critical in representing the organisation to donors and other external stakeholders, and to improving Christian Aid’s global, Africa wide and in-country visibility. The role will participate in and/or lead project teams within PFD and across the Global Partnership, and will have a substantial element of humanitarian interventions and funding within its portfolio. The post holder may also support work elsewhere in Africa and globally, in response to priorities and deadlines.
- End-to-end quality proposal delivery responding to both published and unsolicited opportunities
- Acquire and retain new donors and funding relationships from a range of donors, with named key donor account responsibilities
- Provide strong leadership on developing funding proposals, including assembling and managing proposal development teams; working with colleagues in the design and development of high quality projects; and taking responsibility for submission of strong proposals that respond to donor criteria and Christian Aid strategic objectives.
- Support Country Programme staff to deliver on existing contracts. The PDFO specifically takes responsibility for enabling compliance with donors and Christian Aid policies and ensuring timely and quality reporting to donors
- Gather intelligence about upcoming opportunities; develop and share opportunity-specific competitive intelligence analysis and support Country Managers in deciding on consortia formulation
- Carry-out post-bidding debrief and lead post-award negotiation
- Ensure that Christian Aid programmes meet our gender and inclusion quality standards, and incorporate latest thinking around our digital strategy.
- Participate in and/or manage project teams involved in strategic proposals or other initiatives.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
• University degree or equivalent in business, economics, international relations, development studies, environmental management, agronomy or a relevant subject.
• Knowledge and expertise in working with institutional donors, which may include FCDO, USAID, Global Fund, European Union / ECHO, UN agencies, Global and Local Philanthropies & Private sector collaboration
• Significant and proven experience of successful bid leadership across development and/or humanitarian grants
• Outstanding communication and networking skills for relationship building and facilitation, including consortium development • Deep understanding of the development and funding context in Kenya
• Excellent writing skills.
• Fluency in English
• High level of numeracy and understanding of financial controls and procedures.
• Project Cycle Management and monitoring, evaluation and learning methodologies.