Mission and objectives
Since its inception in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been the global authority that sets the environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP works through its divisions as well as regional, liaison and out-posted offices and a growing network of collaborating centres of excellence.
This position will be based within the GEF Team, Economy Division, UNEP office based in Gigiri Nairobi. This position will be supervised under the Programme Budget Officer within the GEF team. The key functions are performed under a broad partnership with multiple sectors at the national and devolved units which requires individual flexibility and adaptation skills.
Under the direct supervision of the GEF Programme Budget Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
In alignment with UNEP’s overall commitment and efforts towards strengthening the implementation of result-based management (RBM), sub-programme monitoring, and overall portfolios reporting, two systems were deployed for internal use namely: (1) Umoja Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting Solution (IPMR), and (2) Programme Information and Management System (PIMS+). The two systems were deployed for use of UNEP’s operational units as Project/Programme Management tools to manage the lifecycle of projects and programmes from the beginning to end: Planning, Implementation, Monitoring, Closure, and Reporting. To ensure full compliance of the Portfolio with the aforementioned systems, the incumbent will:
- Acquire working knowledge of the two systems and identify required information.
- Support to review projects for any information related gaps vis-à-vis the requirements and follow up with task mangers to ensure completeness and accuracy of project information.
- Support to Create, update, and modify project information in IPMR for new and converted projects.
- Assist in overall portfolio results monitoring and performance tracking
- Assist to keeps up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to RBM.
The Portfolio Operations team is responsible for providing focused support on administration, communications, finance, legal, procurement, travel, HR, and the day-to-day liaison and coordination with key entities. As part of Operations Team, the incumbent acts as part of the Office team and may be assigned duties within the different areas of operations including a variety of complex research, reporting, contact, and analytical duties, and coordinating work. The incumbent main duties will include:
- Acquire working knowledge of UMOJA SAP to undertake basic tasks such as ex-tracting data.
- Assist to handle internal processes including drafting agreements
- Registration of partners in the partnership portal, and obtaining internal approval
- Contribute to research on selected operational topics.
- Respond to requests for portfolio data working with other team members to gather necessary information and articulate a response
- Assist in the following up with executing agencies to identify and pre-empt issue, ensure reports are delivered on time.
Provision of necessary required support to the Task Managers.
Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
Required experience: 0 years of experience in environmental projects management or related fields Demonstrated interest or experience in environmental projects management or related fields.
Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required French, Level: Working knowledge, Desirable
Education: Master degree or equivalent in Project Management or a related field A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
How to apply
Apply through the UNV Platform here: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1677153621589248