UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Programme Officer under UNOPS-IICA-2 within the Tanzania Operation duty station representation Office, Dar es Salaam.
The Programme Officer based in Dar es Salaam will provide programmatic guidance and support to Kibondo, Kasulu and Kigoma offices with regard to the implementation of protection and solutions strategies within available resources. S/he will coordinate with the other sections/units to ensure harmonized programmatic approaches at all levels and throughout the UNHCR Operations Management Cycle. The incumbent will work in line with the overall UNHCR directions which crucially require working with partners, including with persons of concern, governmental institutions and the private sector, ensuring that programme management is approached as per UNHCR’s Strategic Directions, Global Strategic Priorities (GSPs), Global Compact for Refugees (GCR), and corporate positions on SDGs.
The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of all relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Vacancy No: Dar/VA/2022/002
Title: Programme Officer
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duration: One year
Contract Type: UNOPS, IICA-2 (Eqv. P3)
Closing date: 20 May 2022
Start date: 15 June 2022
The Office of the UNHCR was established on 14 December 1950 by the Un General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
The Programme Officer will be based at the Representation Office in Dar es Salaam and will report to the Snr Programme Officer.He/she may refer to UNHCR’s Programme Manual (Chapter IV), UNHCR’s corporate and regional strategic priorities, operation plans and other relevant institutional rules and regulations for further guidance
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with an ability to work independently to support programme team,
You will work under the supervision of the Snr Programme Officer and Liaise with programme teams in Dar es Salaam, Kibondo, Kasulu and Kigoma in line with UNHCR rules and regulations and UNHCR Operations Management Manual.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support in assessing and analyzing the needs of persons of concern in a participatory manner, using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective as basis for planning.
- Provide support on programmatic aspects of developing multi-year protection and solutions strategies and annual plans with corresponding priorities taking into account corporate priorities.
- Support Results Based Management and programme capacity in light of evolving requirements, programming approaches and gaps.
- Support the planning process in compliance with planning parameters outlined in the Programme Manual and the planning instructions.
- Review and analyze plans, mid-year and year-end reports of UNHCR office(s), ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Support in the provision of overall direction to broaden partnerships with key stakeholders in order to maximize the protection and solutions response for persons of concern.
- Provide support to ensure a consistent application of the framework for implementing with partners, including the effective implementation of the policy on selection and retention of partners, management of partnership agreements, risk-based project performance monitoring, and risk-based project audits, among others.
- Contribute to ensure consistent and coherent monitoring approaches, tools and systems in line with global standards and polices.
- Actively contribute to UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contributing to improvements of programming tools and processes.
- Identify potential gaps and problems and in cooperation with other relevant sections recommend appropriate solutions to ensure the efficient implementation of programme activities.
- Oversee a timely and effective follow-up of internal and external audits observations and recommendations that relate to programmatic issues.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
- 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field of Education/Certificate
- Economics, Business Administration, Social Sciences or other relevant field.**
Relevant Job Experience
- Demonstrated experience in programme management including familiarization with the OMC and sound knowledge Results Based-Management. Demonstrated experience in field operations, sound knowledge on the centrality of protection in programming, Joint Needs Assessments and the principles of targeting.
Preferable and Desirable
- Minimum of 6 years of experience, preferably with an international organization in programme management including familiarization with the Operations Management Cycle and sound knowledge of Results Based-Management.
- Experience in the management of refugee projects in camps and urban settings.
- Some understanding of procurement processes, asset management, warehousing management basics and fleet management for partnership management
- Experience related to management of projects for basic services provision ie health, WASH, livelihoods, education, Non-Food items provision, nutrition
- Proven experience in financial management including partnership management
- Demonstrated experience in field operations, sound knowledge on the centrality of protection in programming, Joint Needs Assessments and the principles of targeting.
- Demonstrated experience in coordination within an inter-agency context and other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context.
- Sound experience in program management training and capacity building activities.
- PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
- PG-Results-Based Management
- PG-UNHCR’s Programmes
- PG-Experience with coordinating with Implementing Partners (Government/INGO/NGO/Corporate) Data and information management understanding
- Excellent knowledge of English (written / oral / comprehension) is essential. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Performance
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Analytical Thinking
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
The successful candidate will be based at the Representation Office Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
This position is for one year, and the start date is 15 June 2022. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 07:30am to 04:30pm Mondays to Thursdays and from 07:30am to 01:30pm on Fridays (40 hours per week)
How to apply
Please note: Tanzanian Nationals are not eligible to apply.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- Job City Dar es Salaam