Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 8 Months
Reports to: Senior Communication Coordinator
Competency Level: 2
Salary Band: E
- To raise the profile of Christian Aid’s Humanitarian and Sustainable Livelihood programme through effective content management and dissemination among key internal and external stakeholders.
- The role holder will also lead on the specific social and behaviour change needs within the humanitarian programme, through ensuring the integration of key SBCC elements such as formative research and participatory approaches, including message design and development to increase the participation of community members in the solutions.
- The role holder identifies and shares the best stories, and case studies that show how Christian Aid Nigeria and its partners are changing the lives of the poor and marginalized through its humanitarian programming.
- The role writes, edit, commissions a varied mix of content including case studies, interviews, blogs, photos, and films in line with CA’s communication guidelines and contributes to the implementation of the country programmes’ communication strategy
- Develop context base social behavioural change communication (SBCC) key message that will bring some attitudinal change in some bad beliefs and culture
- Develop tools for knowledge attitude and practice for each community that we are working based on their context in relation to SBCC
- Advance evidencing of results, high-quality communication materials are produced and properly disseminated through the best channels
- Vibrant sharing of country programme results and learning with the wider organisation and external stakeholders
- A content plan is maintained to guide the use of existing communication content and ensure that future communication materials (case studies, reports, newsletters and films, etc) are developed in a timely and effective way for key country programme events.
- Effective and efficient administrative systems and procedures, including support in collating and compiling programme reports, in accordance with Christian Aid’s framework from a communications perspective.
- Contribute to documenting experiences, impact case studies, and preparing reports, presentations, briefs, and articles for publication.
- Work collaboratively with other project team members to ensure necessary program planning, development, development of learning events, policy papers, resource availability, and management activities function smoothly and efficiently
- Develop and adapt approaches to disseminate programme results and impact on communities, partners, government, and other development actors.
- The role works within the Strategic Communications team but domiciled in the Humanitarian and Sustainable Livelihoods team in Maiduguri.
- The role will be line managed by the Senior Programme Coordinator, Communications, working closely with them to ensure proper and adequate communication of projects activities in-line with CA Communication guidelines.
- The role holder leads on all media engagement for the country programme in the Northeast and will support all policy and advocacy efforts as regards the Humanitarian programme.
- The support provided by the role will include technical support to partners and staff to strengthen their capacity for strategic communications and SBCC.
- Education to Degree level or equivalent in Mass Communication, Social Science, or its equivalent
- Good editorial skills, high proficiency in written/spoken English, and ability to translate complexities into material that is compelling, jargon-free, and accessible
- Significant working experience in a similar position with an INGO
- Excellent time and project management skills, coupled with a high level of multi-tasking and situational awareness
- Basic understanding of document and database management
- Proficient with all MS applications- Intermediate to advance level
- Substantial knowledge of supporting programmes and programme staff in international and national agencies
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Familiarity in working with faith-based institutions in Nigeria
- Postgraduate qualification or equivalent in journalism and communication
- Experience with working with a project management software
Digital / IT Competencies Required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Intermediate
- Web content design & development – Advanced
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling – Advanced
- Social Media – Advanced
- Data Visualisation – Advance
Application Closing Date
1st May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, religion or belief.
- Christian Aid is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment for every person connected to the work we do; and to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour including sexual harassment and exploitation, abuse, and financial misconduct.
- Any candidate offered a job with Christian Aid is expected to share and demonstrate our values and adhere to Christian Aid’s Safeguarding policy and sign Christian Aid’s Code of Conduct.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.