Programme Officer – Constitution Building Processes
International IDEA will increase its level of support to Constitution Building Processes in Africa, with a focus on countries in Transition. This requires a team with substantive knowledge and competencies to operate in complex, high-risk environments to assist in the development of new projects and support their ongoing implementation. Based in the Regional Office of the Africa and West Asia Programme, the Programme Officer will support the projects by providing key technical assistance to national dialogue processes through various menus of interventions from facilitation of dialogue, workshops, capacity building sessions and drafting of policy option papers to provide for consensus building towards negotiated settlements etc. These technical and knowledge-based policy dialogues are aimed at assisting national and regional policy makers and stakeholders to find constructive and peaceful solutions to constitution building processes. Working under the guidance of the Regional Director and under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer for Constitution Building, the Programme Officer will also act as a focal point to support the operational aspects of the various projects implemented by the AWA Regional Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts analyses of relevant constitutional frameworks, focusing on target countries and comparative cases;
- Drafts options papers and presentations to be discussed at trainings and meetings of senior national stakeholders;
- Supports national stakeholders in the development of position papers by offering comparative knowledge and other relevant substantive information as required;
- Prepares and conducts trainings and presentations for project activities, and provides other forms of technical assistance as necessary;
- Provides specific expert advice on project countries to partners and programme staff;
- Develops and maintains strategic/key partnerships and contributes to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practices;
- Drafts written reports on programme activities and ensures compliance with the project monitoring frameworks, in accordance with donor requirements and International IDEA’s policies and procedures;
- Assists in drafting programme-related budgets, and dispersing and reconciling programme funds ensuring compliance with donor requirements and International IDEA’s policies and procedures;
- Assists in project design,development and implementation;
- Participates in internal and external dissemination of information on the projects’ activities;
- Ensures the timely and efficient organization of events in coordination with national stakeholders, administrative staff and other colleagues;
- Coordinates with national and international experts contributing to all aspects of the project;
- Prepares workshop reports and donor and outputs and outcome reports and closely liaises with the programme team and the Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to produce impact stories/reports.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of comparative constitutional design and constitution building processes, in particular, a strong background in comparative federalism and other forms of decentralization of power;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, ensure quality control publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects, often at short notice;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Farsight Africa Group Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- QUALITY ASSURANCE LEAD at Farsight Africa Group
- CHANGE AND COMMUNICATION LEAD At Farsight Africa Group
- Monitoring, Evaluation , Accountability, Research and Learning (MEARL) Officer at Terre des hommes
- Officer, Livelihoods at Concern Worldwide
Senior Programme Officer – Constitution Building
Education and Experience
- University degree in law, political science or other related discipline; Specialization on issues of democratization, conflict resolution and constitutionalism a strong advantage;
- A minimum of five (5) years’ practical experience working in the field of international assistance on topics related to constitution building processes, rule of law or democracy support projects in the Africa and West Asia region;
- Experience working in post-conflict countries and/or countries in political transition in the Africa and West is considered an advantage;
- Experience delivering presentations and trainings on comparative constitutional design is essential;
- The position will involve frequent travel to hardship locations. Experience working in complex working environments is essential.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- Two (2 year) fixed term appointment
- Remuneration – EUR 4 623 NET per month + benefits
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
How to apply
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 09 August 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
To submit your application, kindly visit the link below: