Programme Officer – Elections
The Africa and West Asia (AWA) Regional Programme consists of approximately sixty-nine countries that span 6 sub regions, namely: West Asia; North Africa; West Africa; Central Africa; East Africa and Southern Africa. These countries and sub regions are characterized by a diversity of governance systems, where broadly democratizing countries co-exist with hybrid and authoritarian regimes. In the countries where democratic reforms have been pursued, accent has mostly been placed on basic constitutional and electoral system reforms.
Though each sub-region or country has its own unique electoral context, there are number of common factors and trends affecting elections across AWA that are the result of similar historical, political and economic experiences. These diverse countries share a common history of being relatively new nation-states – with the majority obtaining independence in the immediate period before, during and after the Second World War. Over the past few years, there has been significant efforts at national and continental levels to ensure that credible elections play a central role in the political landscape of AWA countries. However, while there has been progress, this progress has been uneven and the region presents a mosaic of positive and negative trends in democratic developments that contribute to the current electoral context in AWA.
The renewed efforts at regional, sub-regional and national levels to address the declining integrity of electoral processes in Africa presents an opportunity for the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA) as an inter-governmental body that seeks to advance democracy worldwide, to contribute to the process of restoring democratic process in the region. International IDEA’s through its Electoral Processes (EP) programmes supports the integrity of electoral institutions and processes through reforms of electoral legal and institutional frameworks, capacity building of election management bodies to implement their mandate and promoting inclusive participation in electoral processes. IDEA’s EP support in Africa covers the following thematic areas: building trust between electoral stakeholders; legal frameworks; conflict and election-related violence; elections & gender; elections & youth; citizen participation in elections; use of technology in elections; cost of elections; funding of electoral campaigns; digital media & elections; electoral justice and capacity building for election management bodies.
In line with the International IDEA’s strategic objectives on Electoral Processes, the Programme Officer will contribute to the advancement of International IDEA’s EP programmes in the AWA region. Specifically, she/he will be responsible for implementation and reporting of regional electoral support initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports programming in and across AWA on electoral processes;
- Supports the Senior Programme Officer – Elections in the development of AWA related knowledge products on thematic issues in elections;
- Builds and integrates an elections and conflict perspective into the existing framework of International IDEA comparative knowledge resources;
- Identifies funding opportunities, prepares concept notes and proposals to expand International IDEA’s reach, influence and presence in the AWA region;
- Provides technical inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives related electoral processes,
- Contributes to the implementation of EP projects and initiatives throughout project cycle (including planning, budgeting, delivery of outputs and reporting);
- Supports the Senior Programme Officer Elections in organising regional and sub-regional stock-taking and agenda-setting policy dialogue sessions on electoral themes issues in the AWA Region;
- Advises on strategic programme partnerships with sub-regional and continental bodies and other external partners;
- Contributes to the development of capacity building initiatives for EMBs and civil society at regional and national levels;
- Undertakes representational functions as delegated;
- Conducts research and provides analysis on thematic issues and emerging trends in the field of elections, elections & conflict and elections in Africa;
- Ensures the visibility of EP activities and contributes to a robust communications strategy;
- Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation within the relevant fields, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community
- Collaborates with International IDEA staff members in AWA country offices, other Regional Programmes and at headquarters.
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Officer – Constitution Building Processes at International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
- Farsight Africa Group Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- QUALITY ASSURANCE LEAD at Farsight Africa Group
- CHANGE AND COMMUNICATION LEAD At Farsight Africa Group
- Monitoring, Evaluation , Accountability, Research and Learning (MEARL) Officer at Terre des hommes
Senior Programme Officer – Elections, Africa and West Asia Region
Education and Experience
- University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Social Sciences or other relevant field;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience participating in the implementation of democratization and/or electoral support programmes preferably in a non-governmental organization, state institution or international organization;
- Practical experience in designing, planning, conducting, advising, and/or coordinating programs in a region or country is required;
- Experience in the Africa West Asia region is essential;
- Knowledge of electoral systems and processes and electoral assistance is essential;
- Experience in managing partnerships with electoral management bodies is essential;
- Experience in electoral risk management and on conflict and security issues is considered an advantage;
- Fluency in English is essential; Knowledge of at least one other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Portuguese, Arabic, French, Spanish) is considered an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Remuneration – EUR 4 623 NET per month + benefits
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
How to apply
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 31 July 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English
Visit the link below to submit your application: