Sightsavers is recruiting a Programme Officer to provide technical and administrative support for our education project in Liberia. The project will strengthen the capacity of teachers to include children with disabilities in their classes. The Programme Officer will work closely with the Ministry of Education (MoE), Teacher Training Institutions (TTIs), Organisations of Persons with Disabilities (OPDs), and other stakeholders to promote a system strengthening approach to teacher development.
About the role
- Work with the Sightsavers Education Global Technical Leads, Liberia Country Office, and partners to design activities appropriate for the local context.
- Liaise with the MoE and other relevant stakeholders at different levels to secure their understanding and commitment to disability-inclusive teacher training
- Ensure the programme is aligned with other significant donor education projects in Liberia
- Work with TTIs to identify ways of strengthening their capacity to provide/facilitate disability-inclusive teacher training through visits to and interviews with TTIs
- Coordinate and support all aspects of project delivery at all phases of the project cycle
- Work with local schools to develop, identify and report on the training needs of teachers
- Contribute to a desk review of current inclusive education policy, pre- and post- teacher training, and organise interviews and focus groups with key stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education, psychology, social studies, or some other relevant field
- Knowledge of international and national agreements, legislation, and policies relating to disability and education
- Experience in project implementation, ideally relating to education
- Experience of working with government and/or non-government agencies
- An understanding of and commitment to the realization of the rights of people with disabilities
- Strong IT, especially MS word and Excel
- Strong networking and communication
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- Able to travel nationally within Liberia
- Knowledge of current issues and best practices in disability inclusive education
- Teaching experience, ideally with children with disabilities (desirable but not essential)
- Experience of training teachers and developing training materials
The Programme Officer, Inclusive Education, is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills.
Please see the Job Description for full details.
Closing date: 10 December 2021
We intend to conduct remote interviews from 16 December 2021.
To apply, please complete the online application in English via our recruitment portal. Please include all your relevant work experience within the application form.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader, and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply