Contract type/grade: Consultant-II
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date: 12th May 2022
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is open to qualified candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
- Support the development of a long-term vision and strategic approach for WFP’s engagement in social protection in Somalia under the four-year CSP
- Contribute to the design and management of a portfolio of social protection programmes that effectively meet food security and nutrition needs in Somalia
- Establish and maintain strategic and operational partnerships for diversified engagement and complementary and collaborative approaches and initiatives in the social protection sector
- Develop and support a research & learning agenda that enhances capacity of government to design and deliver social protection programmes for enhanced food security and nutrition outcomes, including shock-responsive, transformative and productive elements.
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in various social protection-relevant forums including policy debates and dialogues
- Assist senior stakeholders of government to identify and analyze policy problems, and mobilize support and technical expertise for the design and delivery of suitable social protection solutions for Somalia
- Provide technical advice, support and capacity building to WFP area office teams and partners in the implementation of the social protection programme portfolio.
- Manage the preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and knowledge products for internal and external use that position and strengthen the credibility of WFP as a partner in social protection.
- Advocate for resources for a broad portfolio of WFP social protection activities, including by articulating a business case for WFP’s contributions to social protection and exploring new potential resource channels
- Ensure the best use of assigned financial resources for achievement of set social protection objectives within a significant budget.
- Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness by systematically assessing whether and how national social protection can contribute to an emergency response.
- Perform other duties as required
Standard Minimum Qualifications
Advanced university degree in international affairs, Economics, social sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or first level university degree with additional years of related work experience.
At least 6 years of professional experience in handling complex programmes, including several years on programmes related to Social Protection and Safety Net, preferably within the UN/INGO sector.
Terms and Conditions
Contract Duration: 11 months
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.
- Job City Mogadishu, Somalia