Role & Responsibilities
The Project Support Manager works as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care. This role is key to the efficient and effective running of the country programme. This roving, varied and challenging role involves covering support (administrative, base, finance, human, logistics) and programmes gaps where needed.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme: provision of primary & emergency health care, nutrition services, water & sanitation, non-food items & emergency shelter to help vulnerable populations.
Workplace & Working conditions
Field position based in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full-time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management & Coordination
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and technical support to the team and encourage beneficiary participation
- Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned project(s), effectively managing and reporting in line with objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on system strengthening, training and coordination.
- Manage and train staff to meet quality standards in programme delivery and liaise with other stakeholders.
- Anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new project proposals and reports.
- Ensure security procedures are in place, guidelines kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information: review security arrangements on regular basis, maintain communication, provide briefings, ensure availability of emergency equipment and assist Country Director in managing security incidents.
- Attend relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information accordingly.
Programme funding – proposal writing support
- Provide Programme Funding Manager (PFM) support in researching new funding sources, preparing specific bids, proposals and reports for submission to institutional donors as well as donor relationship management and maintenance of appropriate information systems.
- Providing strategic support, monitoring, review and evaluation of Medair programmes, supporting grant coordination.
Roving Project Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with programme teams supporting strategy through the support functions.
- Ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines, internal & external audit requirements are met.
- Confirm internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Support line managers human resources activities: recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action…
- Guarantee all national & international legal employment requirements are adhered to.
- Provide logistical support to programme staff & field bases: training of staff, managing assets and equipment.
- Ensure accurate & efficient procedures are maintained in logistics: procurement, storage and transportation.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines with relevant field managers & GSO staff for standardised procedures and improved support.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and GSO.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times and especially when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice and support
- Develop staff to improve their knowledge competence and performance
- When covering for Project Coordinator, Project Support Manager or Project Manager, manage and oversee the staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and are the most up to date versions and guidelines are followed.
- In conjunction with managers review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification; post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector would be a plus.
- Good knowledge of English (spoken and written), Arabic would be a plus.
- 5 post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession; 3 years overseas experience would be a plus.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, database software experience would be a plus.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Attentive & hospitable to colleagues, visitors at the team house.
- Team-player but also able to work independently. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Consultancy for Photography Services – Somali Cash Consortium for Somalia Cash Working Group – Mogadishu or Nairobi Office at Concern Worldwide
- Un.e Manager des Opérations – MALI at Handicap International – Humanity & Inclusion
- Health Manager at Medair
- Account Manager at CTG
- Business Systems Analyst at International Rescue Committee