Position Title : Programme Support Officer (Capacity Building)
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 September 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana;
Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The IOM Regional Office for West and Central Africa (ROWC) in Dakar, covers and supports 23 Country Missions across the Region. The key responsibility of the RO is to formulate regional strategies, processes and programmes in line with the overall priorities and policies of the Organization and to provide strategic and programmatic guidance and support to countries within its region. To this end, the Regional Project Support Unit (RPSU) was established to coordinate and facilitate the full range of RO support and institutional quality assurance related to Project Cycle Management (PCM) and Results Based Management (RBM).
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Policy and Liaison Officer of the Regional Office and in close coordination with relevant RO Units, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing programme support and contributing to the capacity building activities of the RPSU.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Project Cycle Management (PCM) and training
- Coordinate Project Cycle Management (PCM) and Results Based Management (RBM) activities, and assist in providing capacity building, training, and general support to the Regional Office (RO) and Country Offices (CO) in the Region.
- Contribute to the development and conduct of regional and country level trainings on Project drafting, Project Management and Prima based on the IOM Project Handbook and RBM principles.
- In coordination with the Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS’s), provide technical inputs and support to the COs on project writing, to help ensure that projects are results-based and aligned to logical frameworks.
- Provide technical review and input, in collaboration with RTS.
- Collaborate with proposal endorsement and donor report review processes, with relevant RTS and/or designated endorser.
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of RO inputs into IOM organizational reporting processes, including the Institutional Questionnaire and Migration Initiatives.
- Coordinate the IOM Development Fund (IDF) processes in the Region.
- Review the application and use of the SDGs, GCM, as the foundation for projects, programmes and strategies.
- In collaboration with the Data Hub Team, participate in enhancing effective IOM knowledge management practices at the regional level, including project tracking, data capture and analysis, monitoring and evaluation, and information sharing.
- Provide technical information, guidance and capacity building to Country Offices in the Region on how to match potential donor interests, respond to donor calls for proposals, and to follow through the complete application procedure.
- Map, track and disseminate information on donor priorities, interests, funding trends and relevant opportunities, in close collaboration with RTS.
- Coordinate with relevant Units in HQ to facilitate smooth collaboration, knowledge exchange and information flow and act as a Focal Point for different initiatives as when required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, International
Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in organizing and delivering training, strengthening capacities of colleagues;
• Experience in Project Cycle Management (PCM) and Results Based Management (RBM);
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM
project development, management and reporting;
• Knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) with experience in project evaluation is preferred;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, donors, academia, other national/international institutions and NGOs; and,
• Experience in development practices such as Logical Frameworks is an advantage.
• Excellent team building skills with a track record in team coordination and building trust.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 03.09.2021 to 16.09.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 212 Programme Support Officer (Capacity Building) (P2) Dakar, Senegal
Posting: Posting NC57155934 (57155934) Released