ABOUT THE ROLE
The Programmes Manager will support Amnesty Nigeria’s research, campaigns, advocacy and media activities centred on human rights work in Nigeria. To develop an integrated strategy on the country’s human rights agenda, overseeing its application, and ensuring consistency between AI’s policies and strategies for work in Nigeria with those in other global offices.
The suitable candidate must have the ability to exercise high standards of servicing to a range of stakeholders (internal to the National Office and the Amnesty movement, media, governments, NGOs and beneficiaries of Amnesty International’s work, amongst others). Must understand the work of the Amnesty International Nigeria Director to enable him provide programmes support to the Amnesty International Nigeria office and to stakeholders.
Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim of ending human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
- As a key member of the management team, contribute to the development of an effective strategic plan that is aligned with AI’s Strategic Goals and which inspires and motivates internal and external stakeholders;
- Carry out fundraising and mobilization of resources from different sources and donors
- Manage the development and implementation of human rights research and advocacy action plans on Nigeria, in line with globally agreed priorities and strategies
- Oversee quality assurance for all research, campaign and advocacy and related outputs at country level and review research plans, mission proposals and advocacy action plans, working closely with originators to ensure that research strategy is sound and focused, key methodology, legal and policy issues are addressed, and that the evidence, analysis and conclusions make a compelling case for change;
- Work closely with the Finance and Office Manager in budget setting, monitoring, managing and reporting on budget and expenditure for the work undertaken by their team.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in social sciences, international relations, law or related disciplines;
- A master’s degree is highly preferred. A specialization in human rights, peace and security or NGO management would definitely be an advantage;
- At least 10 years’ experience working in the field of human rights and/or development with at least 3 of these at a senior management level;
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and ability to analyze, political, civil society, governance, security and human rights issues in Nigeria;
- Experienced people manager of teams of at least 5 people;
- Experience in resource mobilization with proven evidence of funds raised and managed from donors including trusts and foundations and reported on.
- Experience of research for advocacy purposes, including field research, and a demonstrated ability to assess human rights research, present findings, identifying advocacy targets, and applying research-based analysis to campaigning for human rights change.
Please note that this role is based in Nigeria. Only those legally authorized to work in Nigeria are advised to apply for this job.
There will be a 6-month probation period for the postholder.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B.: We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
How to apply
Please apply via the link below: