Overview of position
There are 7.2 million people in need of humanitarian assistance in Somalia. The country also has one of the highest numbers of Internally Displaced Peoples (IDPs) in the world with more than 2.9 million who have been displaced by conflict, insecurity, forced evictions, droughts, and floods. Clan disputes, protests, the weakness of the national forces, the gradual withdrawal of the African Union Mission in Somalia, Islamic State and continuing Al Shabaab attacks cause insecurity and instability across Somalia. Somalia is currently experiencing a severe drought and it is anticipated that 1 million individuals could be newly displaced in 2022.
The IOM Somalia mission is implementing frontline activities as well as taking the lead in the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) programme, which encompasses mobility tracking, flow monitoring, and surveys components that aim at supporting evidence-based programming. As co-chair of the Information Management and Assessments Working Group (IMAWG), and key member of Internally Displaced Peoples Working Group (IDPWG), the DTM programme is enabling humanitarian actors plan and respond to needs in Somalia and across the region.
Under the direct supervision of Senior Operations and Admin Assistant in Nairobi, administrative supervision of senior Programme Coordinator(Emrg&Post Crisis) in Mogadishu and the overall supervision of the DTM Programme Manager, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties;
- Assist the DTM team with daily administrative tasks related to all activities associated with Mobility Tracking, Flow Monitoring , Emergency Trends Tracking and Transhumance Tracking Tool
- Ensure proper documentation of all activities related to DTM and collect supporting documents to process procurement and finance related tasks in a timely manner, following up within the team and across departments where necessary.
- Ensure that all necessary supporting documents related to vendor requests are provided before payment request is submitted to Finance.
- In close coordination with Snr. Operations and Administrative Assistant, follow up pending project tasks and update relevant staff members regarding needed actions whenever it’s required.
- Support logistical and administration aspects of organization of workshops, trainings and other events.
- Provide administrative and logistical planning support to staff and enumerators regarding duty travel, travel authorizations, security clearance, accommodation, and expense claims.
- Maintain electronic and hard copy filing systems, and support re-organizing the filing system as needed
- Keep track and update contact lists for enumerators.
- Ensure regular liaison with Field Assistants in order to provide timely support to the field teams, as needed.
- Informally translate to English any needed supporting documents in the local language.
- Provide administrative support to Supervisor in purchase and payment requests, following up of delivery and progress of activities, follow up payment status, in coordination with procurement and resource management unit
- Perform other required duties assigned by direct supervisor and DTM Program Manager
Snr. Operations and Administrative Assistant
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values -must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of information technology in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Good teamwork and ability to work independently.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- Job City Mogadishu