1. Brief introduction.
GIZ, the German Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, provides services worldwide in the field of international technical cooperation.
In Somalia, it has been active since 1964, and up to now implements programs in a wide variety of areas including Economic development and Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), Agriculture, rural development and water resource management, Resilience building to address the root causes of migration. The projects and programmes are managed from GIZ’s country office in Kenya. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Regional Project Improving the prevention of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in the Horn of Africa is to work with relevant actors on regional, national and local level to raise awareness for the prevention of FGM.
The project will focus on:
• Capacity development of relevant stakeholders in the prevention of FGM on the local, national and regional level
• Strengthening the networks of relevant stakeholders
• Community based and cross-border awareness raising campaigns
Furthermore, transnational, national and local awareness-raising activities of state and non-state actors are implemented.
The Technical advisor is responsible for:
- Coordinate the activities of the FGM-Prevention Regional Programme in Garowe and Mogadishu and represent the project, in consultation with the field office in Hargeisa and the Regional project’s head office in Addis Ababa.
- Support main partners through technical advice and independently initiate and coordinate capacity development activities for different stakeholders.
- Facilitate and support networking activities.
- Support the implementation, planning, monitoring, and reporting of the project activities in Garowe and Mogadishu.
- Assist the project manager in the implementation of all project activities including planning, organizing, and managing workshops, conferences, and partner events in Garowe and Mogadishu, the Pilot regions Puntland and Mogadishu and eventually other locations.
- Assist the project manager regarding the preparation, funding, and technical and financial monitoring as well as the evaluation of community/ Generational dialogues.
- Exchange and align activities with other project advisors of the project (in Somaliland, Ethiopia and Sudan).
- Take the responsibility for administrative tasks according to GIZ rules and regulations (PuR) including assisting in and autonomously preparing bookings, bidding procedures, preparing TORs, and contracting of experts/external consultants, ensuring documentation of the procedures and handling invoices, office procurements, event-related purchases.
- Assist the project manager in the preparation of the annual reporting.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- MSc/MA Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or related fields,
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in the field of female/public health and/or prevention of FGM,
- Work experience in the field of international development cooperation is of advantage, as well as experience in the collaboration with state and non-state actors,
- Experience in public relations/ communication and/or impact monitoring is of advantage
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement,
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent command of English, fluency in local language(s) preferable
- Good knowledge of the public health sector in Somalia.
- Proven organizational and coordination skills in an international context,
- experience in project management is an asset
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and high commitment to integrity and the promotion of human rights, and in particular women’s rights
- Very good project management, organizational and analytical skills,
- Ability to work independently,
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills,
- Proficiency in the use of computer and communication technologies (such as MS Office, Skype, …),
- Availability for regular business trips to the pilot regions and eventually outside the country.
How to apply
Applications should be done through https://www.fuzu.com/jobs/project-advisor-giz-5d51a7e0
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Community Youth Engagement Specialist (Volunteer) at Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
- Project Coordinator Assistant at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Holland
- Infection Prevention & Control Supervisor at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Holland
- Nurse (Referral) at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Holland
- WatSan Supervisor at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Holland