The Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI) is established as the regional Centre of Excellence on groundwater management and management of groundwater dependent ecosystems in the SADC region. As a not-for-profit company under South African law, and a subsidiary of the SADC Secretariat, SADC-GMI is officially hosted in Pretoria in the Republic of South Africa on behalf of and under the strategic guidance of the SADC Secretariat, Directorate of Infrastructure and Services – Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana. The SADC-GMI is guided and supervised by a 10 Member Board of Directors with representatives of the SADC Secretariat, SADC Member States and the University of the Free State.
This is a full-time position based at the Head Office in Pretoria, The Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI) seeks to appoint a
The Project Assistant will support the SADC-GMI staff on administration, finance and procurement functions. S/he will work and report directly to the Administration and Finance Officer (AFO), and assist the Procurement and Grants Specialist.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Support the AFO and the SADC-GMI staff in efficient records and information management through maintaining an up to date central filing system for all activities of the SADC-GMI including contracts, events, reports, travel, meeting minutes, assets, etc;
- In charge of front office management which includes receiving and directing phone calls, receiving and directing visitors, distributing brochures and responding to general enquiries as delegated;
- Coordinating general office administration and logistics such as cleanliness, functionality of facilities and equipment, stationery and sundry services;
- Maintaining the SADC-GMI diary of events, meetings, travel schedules as well as taking minutes of internal and external meetings;
- Support the budgeting and financial management function of the SADC-GMI through following up suppliers and expenses reconciliations;
- Assist in effecting and reconciling travel expenses and claims
- Assist in ensuring that funds owed to the SADC-GMI are received as scheduled.
- Assist in ensuring that SADC-GMI’s creditors are paid on time.
- Assist in ensuring that record keeping and reporting is in compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- Assist in the preparation and review of project concepts, Terms of References and other procurementdocuments,
- Support and participate in activities of the Procurement Unit which include implementing the provisions of the SADC-GMI Procurement Manual, Sub-Grant Manual and the Sustainable Groundwater Management in SADC Member States project documents
- Support procurement of office supplies
- Participate in the execution of SADC-GMI events which includes acquisition of venues, equipment, catering, production and distribution of relevant materials, invitations and follow-ups;
The Project Assistant must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of a degree from a recognized institution in administration, accounting, economics, engineering, project management, procurement, or other field relevant to the job
- At least 5 years work experience in administration, finance and procurement related functions;
- Capabilities to successfully discharge procurement, office administration, management and secretarial functions is a requirement
- Professional level proficiency in general computer software applications is mandatory, particularly Internet and MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint
- Proven ability to support the preparation of reports
- Proven previous working experience in similar fields in the SADC region in the water sector is desirable
- Previous working experience as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-national team is a requirement
The successful candidate will be offered a full-time contract for a period of 36 months with an option for extension, thereafter, depending on satisfactory performance and the availability of funding.
Eligible females are encouraged to apply
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies email your application by Friday 06th May 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job City South Africa