ABOUT SOLIDARIDAD EAST AND CENTRAL AFRICA
Solidaridad is an international solution-oriented civil society organization with over 50 years of experience in developing solutions to make communities more resilient and create more sustainable supply chains. We work throughout the entire value chain to make sustainability the norm. Our innovative solutions support the transition to an inclusive economy that provides sustainable livelihoods with fair and profitable business opportunities. This includes decent working conditions, a fair living wage, and production in balance with nature so that all people can thrive now and for generations to come. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Solidaridad East, and Central Africa has country offices and programmes in Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda, and outreaches in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Burundi, Rwanda, and Cameroon.
Title: Project Associate (Field Extension Technicians- Uganda**) 5 positions**
Duration: 1-year contract (extension based on performance)
Reporting line: Project Officer – Uganda
Position level: Junior level
Location: Mbale, Gulu, Zombo, Mubende, Bushenyi
Solidaridad is implementing a five-year multinational project dubbed ‘From Climate Victims to Climate Heroes’ that seeks to improve the landscapes and livelihoods of 50,000 smallholder coffee farmers in the Eastern, Northern, Western, Central, and West Nile regions of Uganda through carbon farming and financing. Solidaridad is therefore seeking to recruit a dynamic and innovative professional for the position of Communication Officer.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Project Associate (Field Extension Technicians) will support the implementation of the Climate victims to climate Heroes project. He/she will support the implementation of carbon farming, carbon trading, and carbon financing activities among coffee smallholder farming settings in coffee-growing regions in Uganda.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Project Associate (Field Extension Technicians) report to Project Officer. Works closely with the Project Manager and the quality team on Administration.
● Facilitate the formation of farmer groups and acquisition of lead farmers
● Train farmers on group formations, leadership, financial literacy, cohesiveness and sustainability.
● Establish stakeholder landscape restoration platforms
● Facilitate the process of VSLA formations among coffee agroforestry farmers.
● Facilitate process bylaws formation and adherence.
● In collaboration with the Agricultural extension officer, facilitate the registration of coffee agroforestry farmers.
● Sensitize farmers and stakeholders on carbon farming and trading in agroforestry settings
● Train farmers on GAPs. CSA, carbon farming, climate mitigation and adaptation.
● Facilitate capacity enhancement in agroforestry practices, management, tree nursery establishment and management
● Together with the Gender officer, facilitate gender-related trainings
Farmer onboarding Support
● Support the implementation of communication plans and collaborate with communication officer technical teams to tailor/curate compelling content for various audiences – success stories, key messaging, social media graphics, articles, reports, and thought leadership articles to highlight /promote Solidaridad’s work and impact.
● Support establishment, update, and management of farmer database
● Undertake accurate records acquisition and keeping of all field activities
● Other duties assigned.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Agroforestry, Agricultural Extension, or a related field is a must.
● Diploma in Agroforestry, Agricultural Extension, and Forestry is an added advantage.
● Solid experience in agroforestry, agricultural extension work for at least 3 years
● Excellent report writing and Good GPS use skills.
● Excellent analytical skills to translate complex ideas into aesthetically pleasing, understandable, attention-grabbing information.
● Good communication skills
● Strong English writing skills with demonstrable experience.
Specific Job Requirements:
● Excellent written communication with the ability to write on various topics for different audiences.
● Able to identify and document strong, interesting stories/case studies.
● Skills in the documentation of projects’ best practices and learned lessons are an advantage.
● Working knowledge of social media and online communications (including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn).
● Passion and interest in rural development.
● Flexible, willing to grow professionally and to learn new skills.
● Ability to work collaboratively with diverse team members.
● Enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills within the role.
How to apply
Interested candidates that meet the above qualifications should send their one-page cover letter (including salary expectations and availability) and CVs to:
Subject: “Project Associate (Field Extension Technicians- Uganda)”*
The CVs will be evaluated as they are received. Only successful candidates will be contacted.