Position: Project Coordinator
Role & Responsibilities
Working as a senior member of a diverse team who is committed to serve Madagascar’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care, the Project Coordinator manages the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management, and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership, and security.
Since 2021, Medair has implemented WASH and Nutrition activities (with Protection & Inclusivity dimensions) in the South of Madagascar from Ambovombe, and Medair plans to continue intervening in these 2 sectors and in this region strongly affected by drought.
Workplace & Working conditions
Field based position in Ambovombe, Madagascar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
July 2023. Full time, 6 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of project(s) with Project Manager(s) and in accordance with the project proposals, ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Oversee a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Support relevant Project Manager(s) in day-to-day decision making as requested.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation against project objectives is conducted and reports provided to the relevant in-country or GSO managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Support Programme Funding Manager, technical Advisors and CD in development of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop, in consultation with the other senior field managers, an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and managers, and any other relevant bodies.
- Ensure all relevant project documents are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and represent Medair at meetings to facilitate and ensure cooperation.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional way.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the CD or DCD.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices, sign off on expenditures up to USD 10,000.
- Line-manage up to 5 staff.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Guide the process, monitor and review security assessments for new locations and the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN, the NGO Forum or other relevant security bodies. Make reports, as appropriate, to the Country Director.
- Ensure all staff members and all visitors receive training in security-related topics.
- Train Project Managers in security planning, management, etc.
- Promote and use the Medair operating procedures, ensuring that guidelines are followed.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements, in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, CHS
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Pro-actively seek advice of quality team and implement within cost, scope and time.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of French (spoken and written). Good working knowledge of English.
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Leadership and project management skills.
- Consultative and servant leadership with excellent communication skills and training willingness.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- HeRoN Team Leader at International Rescue Committee
- Programme Policy Officer (Field Level Agreement Partnership Management) International CST II at World Food Programme
- Global Senior Manager, Content Marketing at VisionSpring
- COUNTY EDUCATION PROJECT OFFICER at Finn Church Aid
- RE-ADVERTISEMENT: MONITORING & EVALUATION MANAGER at RefuSHE