Médecins Sans Frontières, founded in 1971, is an international non-profit organization that provides emergency medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters or exclusion from health care. Our teams are made up of tens of thousands of medical professionals, logistics, administrative and various other professions, all guided by our medical ethics and our principles of impartiality, independence and neutrality.
MSF WaCA, created in 2019, is the first MSF headquarters in Africa, and responds to the desire to reinvent the MSF movement after 50 years of humanitarian actions in the world, for more access to care, more reactivity and proactivity for greater medical coverage of affected populations in the world.
Why join us?
You are preparing to become a member of the MSF family, with over 50 years of emergency medical action that earned it the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
We are an inclusive organization that considers social and professional well-being a right for all and provides an environment that takes into account the diversity of each volunteer.
MSF WaCA claims an African anchorage that considers the local expertise with which it contributes in the implementation of its activities and makes each member, a key actor of the new dynamics of the humanitarian act in the world.
We Are Looking for:PROJECT COORDINATOR / DHIS2 DEVELOPER
Direct Manager: Medical Information System Project Manager
Functional Manager: Head of Epidemiology Department
Working %: 100%
Position Based in: Abidjan with possibility of a field visit
Mobility: All MSF- WaCA Intervention Zones
Type of Contract: Fixed-Term Renewable
Position to be filled: As Soon As Possible
The need for robust and valid medical epidemiological data for decision making is a crucial component of the medical-humanitarian response. But in many of the contexts in which MSF works, acquiring this data is difficult in term of logistic and local expertise.
- The MSF operational center’s (OC) have all recently invested in the DHIS2 platform. MSF WaCA wishes to align itself and has decided to join the same platform for the Health Information System (HIS) but taking advantage of the experiences of the other OCsin order to set up a more flexible system-oriented project management and not exhaustive documentation of our intervention. The HIS within MSF WaCA is intended to be agile and adaptive. In addition to the importance of data described above, data is also essential for accountability to our patients, the communities we serve, donors, and our partners. In addition to these requirements MSF-WaCA aims to be a data-driven organization.
- The HIS project is both essential and complex. Essential because it must respond to MSF-WaCA’s orientation to be a data-driven organisation and complex because it involves not only the medical department, but also the actions of several departments including IT,finance and human resources.
In terms of structure, HIS is under the responsibility of the Deputy Medical Director and is technically supervised by the MSF-WaCA Epidemiology Officer.
Main responsibilities / Activities
The DHIS2 Developer is in charge of implementing all activities related to the development of a DHIS2 based platform at MSF WaCA HQ and its deployment on the missions.
- Set up and train the team on best practices for developing DHIS2 web applications.
- Coordinate development activities and delivery in a timely manner.
- Provide implementation support on projects for DHIS2 deployments.
- Provide process support: work with project staff to organise processes for valid epidemiological data capture that comply with standard indicators.
- Provide training and support tools: training staff in data collection, analysis and visualisation tools, proper use of collected data,
- Enrich the process approach with a set of contextualised good practices to improve overall data quality.
- Provide training on conceptual data analysis.
- Assist project management teams to produce regular standard activity reports using DHIS2.
- Act as a remote support to meet the needs of project teams.
Education/ Qualification / Pre-requises
- Excellent knowledge of DHIS2 (Aggregate Data, Events, Tracker), both for data entry and analysis and configuration.(mandatory)
- Mastery of dashboard development with R or Python and other tool(mandatory)
- Medical or paramedical background of at least Master’s level in computer science, health information systems, statistics is an asset
- Hands-on IT training (computer bug management, computer networks) is an asset
Competencies Skills /Aptitudes
- Ability to work independently
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Creative spirit
- Analytical thinking
- Planning and organisation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Leadership and conflict management
Professional experience required
- Experience in web application development, especially with Java
- Experience in DHIS2 (required)
- Experience in IT bug management and documentation
- Experience working in Africa is an asset.
- Experience working in humanitarian health or M&E in another sector is an asset.
- · Both working proficiency in English and French
(According to the coordination responsibilities of the position in both French and English-speaking countries, the hired person must be able to easily communicate in both languages.)
- Knowledge of open source data collection and management tools: DHIS2, ODK, ODOO etc…
- Knowledge of data visualisation tools such as DHIS2, Tableau, Power BI
In a dynamic work environment, MSF offers equal recruitment and development opportunities without any form of discrimination based on gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, geographical origin, profile, physical disability or any other discriminatory ground.
Female candidates who meet the requirements are strongly encouraged to apply.
N.B.: This job description provides a framework for the main responsibilities and primary activities of the position. It is not exhaustive. Therefore, the responsibilities and activities of the position may differ from those described in this job description due to organizational and operational needs.
Deadline: 11th April 2023 18:00 GMT
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply
Kindly Apply via this Link: PROJECT COORDINATOR / DHIS2 DEVELOPER (recruitee.com)
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Human Resources Officer at New Incentives – 4 Openings
- Project Officer – Food Assistance at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Talent Acquisition / Recruiter at New Incentives
- CONSULTANCE TECHNIQUE POUR UNE FORMATION SUR L’ACCOMPAGNEMENT DES ENTREPRISES A L’INCLUSION DES TRAVAILLEURS HANDICAPES
- Regional Director, Central and East Africa at Search for Common Ground