CARE International is a major humanitarian agency delivering emergency relief and long-term international development projects.
Position: Project Driver – CASCADE
The purpose of the job is to provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities in accordance with the overall objectives of CASCADE.
RESPONSIBILITY 1: Logistics Support – 30%
- Safely transporting authorized persons and packages, within authorized locations
- Drive staff to various destinations as per the schedule Reporting
- Map out driving routes to ensure the safest and convenient trip routes
- Assist in loading and off-loading packages from the vehicle
- Ensure that all CARE staff meet required driving standards prior to them being able to drive CARE vehicles.
- Ensure safe custody and prudent usage of the CARE fuel card/s
- Submit incidence reports promptly using standard templates
- Ensure all relevant vehicle documents/forms are duly filled e.g., incident forms, logbooks, transport waivers
- Comply with all movement restrictions and reporting requirements
RESPONSIBILITY 2: Vehicle Maintenance and Management- 30%
- Prepare and submit Monthly Vehicle performance reports on a regular basis
- Ensure routine check-up of the vehicles; this include but not limited to oil, brake function, water, lights & tire condition, windshield wipers, etc.
- Assists with vehicle repairs when they break down by taking them to the garage or for service if necessary, and ensure they are in satisfactory condition
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensures that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensuring timely renewal of vehicle insurance and have the valid insurance stickers on the windscreen at all times
- Maintain a vehicle management process and database that includes vehicle logs sheets, and tracks mileage, fuel consumption, maintenance/repair management and costs, for each vehicle.
- Confirm availability of vehicle tools and equipment before, during and after work; this include and not limited to the spare tires, tools and first aid kits.
RESPONSIBILTY 3: Messenger duties – 20%
- Collects and delivers mail at the Post Office, courier offices, other CARE offices, County office and others
- Delivers letters and cheques to grantees, reviewers, suppliers/service providers when required and ensure delivery books are accurately filled
- Assists in packaging and loading supplies or project materials to various destinations
- Support the Admin team on routine logistics tasks and requested
- Maintaining a register of donor requirements and project implementation tracker
- Assists in any other duties assigned by his or her supervisors
RESPONSIBILTY 4: Safety and Security of persons and property – 20%
- Ensure safety of the vehicle by packing at the designated areas/secure place with all doors and windows locked, keys kept safely
- Ensure that all passengers are always on safety belts ·
- Must drive vehicles safely and comfortably and must exercise defensive driving while on the road for the safety of self, passengers and property
- He/she shall adhere to Safety and Security regulations/SOPs including ensuring COVID 19 prevention measures are adhered to by the passengers
- In case of an accident, whether with another vehicle, person or other property, the driver is to immediately report same to the supervisor immediately
Other Responsibilities as assigned
- Keep up to date with CARE’s emerging strategies and approaches and contribute proactively towards implementation. Take responsibility for ensuring personal safety and security, giving due care and consideration to the impact of personal decisions on the safety and security of others
- Have completed Secondary school education
- Clean and valid driving license and good track record
Experience and Competencies Required
- At least 3 years accident-free driving
- Sound Knowledge of road safety and traffic regulations
- Good visual ability and ability to lift packages
- Computer skills and knowledge in office suites
- Defensive driving training is an added advantage
- Prior experience working with NGO
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and patience
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve program objectives
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize requests
- Flexibility to take on a variety of tasks
Closing: 15 August 2022
Method of Application
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- YSLA Coordinator at CARE International
- Chief Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation, P4 at UNICEF
- Administration Officer (Field Support, Oversight, Protocol) at World Food Programme (WFP)
- Individual Consultant to facilitate UNICEF Eastern & Southern Africa Region’s Human Resources Network Meeting, Nairobi, Kenya (ESARO) at UNICEF
- Chief Child Protection, P4 at UNICEF