The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Field Assistant (HLP)
SVN No.: SVN2022.44
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Emergency Response
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The Housing, Land and Property (HLP) Field Assistant will be working under the leadership and guidance of the Emergency Coordinator/Head of Sub Office, Area Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the HLP Project Officer.
- Within the framework of the emergency response program in North-East Nigeria, the incumbent shall be responsible for supporting the Emergency Response projects by assisting in the implementation of field activities, with a particular focus on Housing, Land and Property issues, including land advocacy, as well as community mobilization, needs assessment, and liaising with local authorities and stakeholders, in accordance with the overall directives of the Emergency Coordinator and IOM procedures, and in close coordination with other units.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Liaise closely with the Emergency response Coordinator and HLP Project Officer throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of HLP activities.
- Contribute to the planning procedures and designing of tools for implementation of projects in line with proposals and strategies.
- Promote the HLP rights of conflict affected population in line with advocacy strategy and facilitate access to land through stakeholders and community engagement
- Carryout security of tenure due diligence for project implementation according to IOM SOP
- Assist with the implementation of the HLP projects according to the agreed response strategy and plan, including but not limited to needs assessment and processes as required.
- Follow up with field activities closely to ensure their quality and that there are no delays by collecting daily updates from field staff, and timely report all challenges or delays to the management and participate in brainstorming to resolve issues.
- Support in organizing and facilitating trainings and stakeholder’s engagement workshops
- Actively facilitate and maintain Liaison and collaboration with relevant local and national authorities and stakeholders and participate in relevant forums/cluster/working groups where required.
- Update unit trackers on regular basis, provide feedback on any correction needed to the project officer.
- Contribute as requested to the reports of HLP activities by providing inputs and data (including weekly, monthly, interim and final project reports).
- Prepare and develop status reports, minutes of meetings, travel requests, purchase requisitions and other documents, as required by the management.
- Liaise with government, relevant UN and NGO partners and consultants at state, district and field level, as required.
- Ensure proper filing of documents according to data protection and confidentiality protocols.
- Support the planning and implementation of community consultations, focus group discussions and other community engagement activities related to HLP programming.
- Travel to the field as requested.
- Coordinate with all relevant units and provide assistance where needed.
- Perform any other duties that may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Studies / rRelations, Law or relevant field from a recognized institution or relevant field from a recognized institution, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or;
- High School Diploma in the above fields with five (5) years of relevant working experience with specific focus on humanitarian sector, community mobilization and engagement and mediation among local actors.
- Previous experience in implementing HLP programmes in North-East Nigeria is an advantage.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc).
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to learn new programming modalities quickly.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators Level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Application Closing Date
12th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the Position applied on the subject line.
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Job Recruitment (5 Positions)
- People and Culture Manager – Humanitarian Response at Plan International
- PMERL and Salesforce Functional Admin Specialist at Plan International
- Executive Engagement Coordinator at Plan International
- Project Officer at Plan International – Borno & Yobe
- Project Manager at Plan International
- Compliance Officer at Tearfund Nigeria
- For theapplications to be considered valid,IOM onlyaccepts applications with aCoverLetternotmore thanone page specifying the motivation for application,addressedto:“Human Resources, InternationalOrganization for Migration (IOM)” andwith a subject line“SVN2022.44Maiduguri, Nigeria ProjectField Assistant(HLP)G5″.
- All applications shouldincludea functionalemail address, mobilenumbers,and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Failure to use the aboveSVNin your email subjectwill result to disqualification.
- IOM does notcharge a fee or hire agents at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, training, visa or other fees).
- IOM is hiring candidates only through its Human ResourcesUnit.