Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- The purpose of this role is to ensure the effective and timely implementation and coordination of a multi-year Education in Emergency project funded by USAID and implemented by IRC led consortium with Plan International Nigeria in Borno and Yobe state respectively.
- Responsible for overseeing the day to day running of the Yobe office including overseeing of the activity implementation in line with the project documents. The Yobe Program Manager will be based in IRC’s office in Yobe.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria, IRC Nigeria, development partners and related government institutions in two States Borno and Yobe.
- The Project Manager will be responsible and ultimately accountable for the project’s strategic direction, planning, quality programming and implementation, financial management, team leadership, stakeholder and partner relationships, and donor deliverables.
- The Project Manager will implement education activities and also document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International’s emergency response.
- He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, capacity building. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of EiE staff and Plan Internationals implementing partners.
- Ensures proper stewardship of Plan Nigeria resources, and adherence to government and donor policies and regulations.
- Project cycle management processes and tools (including detailed implementation plans and annual workplans) effectively implemented to achieve project results and comply with donor requirements, government, and partnership agreements.
- Grant management, disbursement and annual reporting processes developed in collaboration with local implementing partner(s)
- Expenditure (including that of local implementing partners) is monitored monthly to ensure spending is on track and forecasts are duly updated based on project needs and in compliance with donor regulations.
- Participates fully in strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting and other program planning processes, and ensures that implementing partners are involved where appropriate.
- Provides leadership and management for all direct reports and ensure the establishment of and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated team.
- Coordinates the management of ongoing relationships with existing partners at the field level and where relevant, leverage those relationships to greater collective impact.
- Participates as an active member of the Response Management Team (RMT) member that oversees the general management and coordination of the Humanitarian Response.
- Regularly communicates to the Education Unit on organizational priorities and key decisions.
- Represents Plan International Nigeria with external stakeholders, by attending meetings, making presentations, and providing advice where necessary.
- Ensures that team members and all other colleagues uphold Plan shared values in all aspects of their work, perform their duties and functions in a collaborative, effective and supportive team environment.
- Coordinates with all other units as may be required for the support necessary to advance the work for education development.
- Identifies best practices and incorporates new ideas for building the education program.
- Ensures the integration of partners’ voice into program planning and the development of innovative projects.
- Ensure provision of timely and quality programmatic and financial reports as per the requirement of Plan International and the donor.
- Ensure sufficient and efficient management of projects’ budgets.
- Provide leadership and technical support including trainings to both Plan International and partner staff as well as the government.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Supervisor
Technical Expertise, Skills, and Knowledge
- University Degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields having a Master’s degree related field is an added advantage
- Minimum of five (5) years of education project implementation experience in similar role
- Strong knowledge and experience in effective project management practices in complex environments especially non-formal education projects
- Proven planning, budgeting, grant management experience for multi-million-dollar projects
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Demonstrated experience working with government agencies, actors, and other stakeholders at the national, district, and local levels
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and established international child protection standards (especially UNCRC)
- Proven coordination, facilitation, people management and supervisory skills
- Experience managing projects in collaboration with local implementing partners
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, or other related area.
- excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Understanding of gender issues in Nigeria, especially pertaining to the education sector
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Ability to read and write in both English and Hausa languages appropriately
Skills & Knowledge:
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Application Closing Date
13th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.