Project Manager at Save the Children
Ethiopia, NGO Jobs In Africa
September 28, 2022
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY: Project Manager
- Responsible for the development of the work plan, recruitment plan, procurement plan, and phased budgets for your project.
- Works closely with the Support Services – HR/Finance/Logs to provide them with advanced plans so that they can efficiently carry out their job.
- In Monthly meetings with the FOM, provides up to date information on the progress of the project and flags any concerns in a timely manner.
- Manage all activities, resources and assets for projects under supervision
- Identify critical issues in the implementation of projects and take the necessary actions to address problems and constraints
- Prepare periodic reports on the implementation of project activities as per the requirements of SCI, regional MOUs and specific project donors
- Ensure that strategies for phasing out are taken care of during implementation; and project close outs are properly planned and executed
- Facilitate and ensure the involvement of children as primary stakeholders in all project work
- Closely work with the PDQ teams to assure implementation quality; and mainstream/integrate cross cutting issues in projects under supervision and monitor them as relevant.
- Support business development opportunities in your sector through providing costs for activities, inputting into design, and drafting proposal pieces as requested. Ensure lessons learned from projects under supervision are fed into new business development opportunities.
- Support the FOM in the drafting of an MOU with the relevant regional partners, follows up on the review and revision processes, as well as finalization and signing.
- Liaises with the relevant sector offices at the location as it relates to the projects under supervision; represents the Health sector within the location as necessary and upon delegation
- Leads project activity and budget revisions, prepares justification for request of amendments in keeping with donor regulations and procedures, closely working with the relevant award team to ensure timely action
- Prepare annual and quarterly project Plan (POP) based on approved Detailed Implementation Plan (DIPs)
- Manage budgets, including phasing of budgets as per work plans, monthly review of spend reports, identification of errors and required actions to address same
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of project budget and other resources for intended purpose; follow up on budget utilization and project expenditure as needed
- Ensure that partner finance planning and reports are in line with the project agreement and requirements from donors and governments; support partners as necessary to ensure proper financial management, utilization and reporting
- Prepares timely donor reports, including review and verification of both narrative and financial reports from partner implemented projects and confirmation of accuracy and consistency between narrative and financial reports.
- Delivers reports to the thematic leads for quality assurance before handing in the reports to the Awards Team for delivery to the donor.
- Facilitates communication and interaction between partners and the SCI Grant Compliance and Reporting Analysts; facilitates budget transfer to partners
- Closely work with the Awards Team to efficiently monitor and track burn rates, reporting and financial compliance issues
- Manage the overall budget of the Project and work closely with Health, WaSH and Child Protection team for the successful implementation of the project.
Monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance
- Undertake situation analysis of health, WASH & Protection issues in the location and establish baseline data for impact monitoring, as well as for use in for new business developments
- In coordination with and support from relevant MEAL staff, design results based monitoring and evaluation process for projects under supervision
- Monitor and systematically document project results
- Monitor and systematically document implementation lessons, best practices and innovations for projects under supervision; and ensure that such information is fed into new business development.
- Plan and facilitate regularly scheduled reviews of projects with partners and stakeholders
- Facilitate mid-term, terminal and other review and evaluation of projects through participatory process
- In coordination with MEAL staff, lead and coordinate the development of TORs and management of tasks, including quick assessments, formal surveys, evaluations, and documentations, for projects under supervision as required
- Facilitates visits to donors, members and others as necessary
- Support activities to improve organizational readiness with regards to responding to emergencies in line with global SCI humanitarian goals and benchmarks
- Be familiar with, adhere to and implement the procedures and processes detailed in the Rules and Principles for humanitarian response
- As needed, mount appropriate and timely response to health emergencies, consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies and in close cooperation with incoming surge teams
- Be ready to serve as Humanitarian Focal person in the Hub as required.
Safety and Security
- Make sure that the Project intervention areas are free from any security risks and report if there is any security Problem in the area.
- Strengthen Partnerships with government and Community on sharing information about the overall security situation of the area.
- Make sure Project implementation is done in line with SCI safe guarding Policy and it is free from any risk for children from region to community level.
- Make sure emergency project risk assessment is done and reporting procedure is in Place in the intervention areas.
Representation and Coordination
- Build smooth functional relationship with the Bureaus and relevant offices in the Regional State
- Represent SCI in different Plat form and Task force meetings, prepare and share timely updates to FOM for further communication, follow up and timely actions
- Liaise with other implementing partners and local authorities to maximize collaboration and ensure proper coordination of activities are in place.
- Facilitate effective supervision of the implementation of program components per planned activities.
- Provide overall management support to planned activities in the Impact Area.
- Ensure quality program implementation.
- Facilitate and ensure integration of all programs with the local stakeholders including local government, community and NGOs working in the area.
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Humanitarian Studies, Social Sciences, public health or related discipline
- Recommended a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a corporate or NGO environment managing community based emergency projects, focusing on Health , Child Protection & WaSH;
- Certificate on project cycle management & Humanitarian response management.
- Experience working with Health, protection & WASH sectors at Regional level
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of working successfully with senior managers in other parts of own organization or partner organizations to deliver major change
- Experience of successfully implementing changes to processes to improve and monitor quality standards and impact achieved
- Experience of managing and shaping programmes to deliver greater efficiency and effectiveness, and of strengthening implementation of financial control processes
- Solid budgeting skills and knowledge of key donor regulations
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required; knowledge of additional local language is a plus
- Commitment to Save the Children values