United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities. Established in 1976, the organisation has nine country programmes in Africa, Asia & South America.
In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities in the country’s South East. We implement projects funded by major international donors that aim to address gender inequalities and rights abuses, improve sanitation and access to water, foster accountability, preserve vital ecosystems and develop sustainable livelihoods.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Location: Based in Abuja, FCT, Nigeria. Regular travel to Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa States is necessary. Travel to other parts of Nigeria and internationally may be required.
Reporting to: Director of Programs (based in Abuja)
Responsible for: Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Coordinator and State Technical Support Officers
Duration of Contract: One year with a yearly renewal of contract subject to performance and continued availability of funds.
- The project will take a market-based approach to increase access to improved sanitation, hygiene and MHH services, developing product solutions and approaches that are evidence-based and effective, to be demonstrated for scaling.
- It will work in ODF and OD Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Bauchi, Jigawa and Ogun states, developing and demonstrating context-specific approaches.
- It will incorporate global expertise on MBS and build the capacity of local NGO.
- The program will define how MBS can effectively be combined with CLTS to move households directly from OD to durable, at least basic levels of service and test how OD communities can be raised on the sanitation ladder by MBS, reducing common risks of ODF slippage. More information about the background, aims and objectives of the SHF are found here: https://www.shfund.org/
- The Project Manager will provide strategic leadership and management to achieve the above aims and objectives.
- S/he will coordinate the provision of support from & for the different stakeholders (Consortium partners, FMWR, SHF, NTGS, other ministries, States, etc.), manage grant awards to partners and sub-grantees, and manage the procurement of services for specific programme activities from specialised institutions and private sector entities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Project Manager will have the responsibility to promote a suitable environment for the development of a sanitation market in the selected LGAs to increase access to improved sanitation, hygiene and MHH services
- The Project Manager will have a pivotal role in motivating the Programme team, inspiring and instilling confidence with government, community, funding and other partners, and managing the Programme’s grant funds.
They will have the following Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the successful implementation of the Programme and the achievement of the Programme’s aim and objectives.
- Coordinate activities and grants of consortium partners and non-state partners (subgrantees).
- Award grants to sub-grantees. This includes issuing calls for proposals, supporting proposal development, screening proposals, submitting proposals to the board and to the SHF Management and establishing sub-grant agreements with successful applicants.
- Provide technical support to teams and partners to address project preparation and implementation issues.
- Provide secretariat support to the NTGS and attend its meetings.
- Procure goods and services necessary for sound and efficient management of the grants Programme and the achievement of Programme objectives.
- Prepare annual and medium-term plans and budgets and implement internal controls for sound financial management.
- Track project costs in collaboration with the finance team to meet the budget.
- Guide the establishment of a monitoring system and monitor the work of partners, progress toward objectives and the financial situation of the Programme.
- Prepare semi-annual, annual and final progress reports and facilitate the preparation of quarterly, semi-annual, annual and final financial reports for submission to SHF Management.
- Report on Programme activities and emerging issues to the NTGS.
- Develop and implement a communications plan to inform stakeholders about the MARSHPIN.
- Provide leadership and direct line management support to the Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Coordinator and State Support Coordinators and others that may be appointed.
- Represent UP externally and collaborate/coordinate with state and local authorities, sub-grantee partners, and stakeholders
- Analyse and report on the evolving needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions
- Periodically participate in the development of new proposals
- Undertake any other duties that the Country Director may request.
- At least a University Master’s in Public Health, Project Management, Rural Development or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in successfully managing large scale sanitation and hygiene projects or other rural development projects, preferably in Africa.
- Experience in WASH Programming in Nigeria and familiarity with the WASH sector and key stakeholders
- Solid understanding of and practical experience in project cycle management.
- Experience in budgeting and financial management of large scale development projects.
- Experience in managing donor, NGO and government relations is desirable.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in market-based approach, hygiene education, Community-Led Total Sanitation programming and other demand-driven approaches is desirable.
- Working knowledge of computers: MS Office tools (minimum Word, Excel, Internet browsing/e-mail operations).
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Commitment to the fight against poverty and United Purpose’s values and mission.
- Commitment to capacity building of local institutions based on mutual respect and partnership.
- Positive outlook and stand-alone disposition.
- Determined hard worker, capable of a quick turnaround on a high workload and multiple tasks.
- Outgoing personality with solid interpersonal, diplomatic and communications skills.
- Self-starter, capable of innovatively managing the Programme.
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands of the Programme.
- Attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
- Excellent team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Integrates risk management in all aspects of programmatic work and operations
- Well-developed skills and demonstrated experience in facilitation, consensus-building, multi-stakeholder processes, and negotiation
- Excellent analytical skills. Experience and knowledge in building local government and CSO capacities in good governance
- Demonstrable ability to engage with sensitivity and strategic foresight in situations involving multiple actors and stakeholders
- Understanding of the UP system and good knowledge of UP rules, regulations, strategy, and programming modalities
- Builds strong relationships with communities and traditional leaders, focuses on impact and results for the community, and responds positively to feedback
- Proven facilitation, training, networking, coordination, team-building, consensus-building, and organisational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a multi-cultural environment
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning and results-based management and reporting
- Ability to advise and oversee formulation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of projects
- Sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of project partners
- Focuses on impact and result for SHF and responds positively to feedback
- Demonstrates conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Team player, self-motivated, shows initiative, dedicated, creative, resourceful, flexible, energetic, and demonstrates sound judgment
- Capacity to work under pressure, manage stress, and adapt to rapidly evolving situations
- Sound time management and organisational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Hausa and another language is a plus
Salary and Benefits
- An attractive package dependent on the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- In the Cover Letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How do your skills and experience meet the person’s specification
- When you would be able to take up the position if it were offered to you
- You are recommended to apply early, as applications will be assessed as they are received.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- United Purpose is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against applicants on the basis of gender, religion, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation. United Purpose also has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
- Job City Abuja