World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager (Integrated Community Recovery and Resilience in Borno State)
Job ID: 2207973
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 12 Months
Contractual Arrangement: External consultant
- The project of Integrated Community Recovery and Resilience in Borno State funded by the European Union (EU) was launched in December 2017. The project is jointly implemented by United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and World Health Organization (WHO).
- The overall objective of the project is to contribute to rebuilding the resilience of conflict-affected people and communities in Borno in a sustainable and environment-friendly way.
- To this end, UNDP and WHO embarked on implementation of the project activities in the target communities in the following interlinked and mutually reinforcing priority areas in Sustainable restoration of quality basic services involved in repair and reconstruction of health facilities infrastructure.
- The project faced many challenges that ultimately resulted to unexpected slow progress of executing planned activities coupled with some structural construction defects.
- Following several No Cost Extension to complete the project, there was no notable progress, and it was concluded to change the initial contractor and ensure the project is properly implemented under effective follow up bodies.
Main Objectives of the Assignment
- Oversee the Integrated Community Recovery and Resilience in Borno State implementation project and closely supervise the overall work construction in Bui and Monguno and ensure are completed within the agreed time.
Main Responsibilities / Expected Results
- Under the overall supervision of the OSL and the health operation team, and the Direct Supervision of the Emergency Manager, the Project Manager will have the responsibility for monitoring and reporting the quality and timely implementation of the project including the construction of the two hospitals of Biu and Monguno.
- The Project Manager will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travel to the two sites Biu and Monguno.
The Project Manager will be Responsible for the following:
- Compilation and checking on correctness of Contractors’ final technical documentation and operation and maintenance manuals.
- Develop a detailed implementation plan for the reconstruction in close collaboration of the contractors, including the formal handover of the facilities to the community and Government
- Prepare, maintain, and monitor Project Master Schedule
- Supervise the contractors based on the sites
- Supervision of demolition and construction works to ensure required quality and progress of the Project.
- Ensure Quality Control of the integrity of the construction at each step of the building
- Preparation and follow-up of deficiency lists for Contractors.
- Convene and conduct site and periodic coordination meetings,
- Assessment of Contractors’ Claims and related claim management.
- Organization of and participation in meetings with Contractors and relevant stakeholders.
- Review of project progress and preparation of quarterly progress reports.
- Develop a template for reporting that will cover the key components of project oversight and monitoring that will inform subsequent reporting and should include photographs that are properly referenced and depicting progress of the work
- Provide weekly report to the Emergency Manager (his supervisor), copy to the management team.
- Provides monthly and quarterly progress and implementation reports of the EU project
- Defects requiring immediate action will be reported within 24 hours.
- In line with donor requirements and reporting template, provide a periodical report as instructed by the supervisor.
- Attend any meetings held by the coordination team to provide regular updates and present progress on the project implementation.
- Attend and present progress of the work to meetings that may arise during project implementation
- Conduct formal site meeting with the implementation team members
- Validating of Contractor’s evaluation on completion and commissioning
- Preparation of Final Project Completion Report
- Assistance in issuing of Provisional Taking Over Certificates and handing over to the final Beneficiary.
- Any other responsibilities as may be given by the supervisor or the organization as well as any other requirements stipulated by the donor
Deliverables, Reports and Documentation:
- Produce a detailed workplan for each construction in consultation with the Supervisor
- Update the workplan regularly
- Submit milestone progress report on stated times
- Submit minutes of site meetings and document matters arising
- Make recommendations to the WHO management team.
- Submit practical completion report for critical stages and at the end of the project, following an agreed template that will be produced for this purpose and should include, referenced photographs depicting progress of the work (weekly, Monthly, Quartey and annual).
- On a day-to-day basis, the Project Manager will work in close collaboration and communication with the project beneficiaries/users in Borno state.
- The excepted duration of this assignment will be 12 consecutive Months beginning from September 2022.
- This report contains the collective views of an international group of experts and does not necessarily represent the decisions or the stated policy of the World Health Organization.
Number of reports copies:
- Detailed workplan for each site (Biu and Monguno) – 2 copies: One hard and one soft copy
- Milestone Progress Reports – 2 copies: One hard and one soft copy
- Completion report – 2 copies: One hard and one soft copy.
- Producing result
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- A Degree in Civil Engineering with a professional certification in Project Management from an accredited academic institution.
- Certification in Project management PMP or PRINCE2 Practitioner will be an asset.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in project management, civil engineering and construction works.
- Previous experience in construction projects or Logistic management will be an asset. Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies or international non-governmental humanitarian organizations during humanitarian response an asset.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Advanced level spoken and written English language.
Application Closing Date
1st September, 2022; 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Assistant (Programme) at World Health Organization (WHO)
- HIS Project Coordinator at UCSF Global Programs for Research & Training
- Project Officer – Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) at Catholic Relief Services – 2 Openings
- Signature Program Technical Lead – Southern Africa at Heifer International
- Mission Security Officer at European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia